Integral using trig substitution

In summary, the conversation is about finding the integral $\int_{}^{} \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - x^2}} \,dx$ and using the substitution $x = \sin\left({\theta}\right)$ to simplify it to $\int_{}^{} \frac{d\theta}{cos\theta}$, which eventually becomes $ln|\sqrt{1 - x^2}| + C$. However, the solution provided in the conversation has some errors and the correct answer is $\theta+C$, which can be back-substituted to get the final answer.
tmt1
I have

$$\int_{}^{} \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - x^2}} \,dx$$

I can let $x = \sin\left({\theta}\right)$ then $dx = cos(\theta) d\theta$

then:

$$\int_{}^{} \frac{cos(\theta) d\theta}{\sqrt{1 - (\sin\left({\theta}\right))^2}}$$

Using the trig identity $1 - sin^2\theta = cos^2\theta$, I can simplify this to:

$$\int_{}^{} \frac{d\theta}{cos\theta}$$

so $ln|cos\theta| + C$ should be the answer.

Since $cosx = \sqrt{1 - sin^2 x}$, then it would be $ln|\sqrt{1 - sin^2 \theta}| + C$

I can substitute back in $x = \sin\left({\theta}\right)$, so

$$ln|\sqrt{1 - x^2}| + C$$

However, this is not the answer I have in the solutions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that:

\(\displaystyle \sqrt{1-\sin^2(\theta)}\ne\cos^2(\theta)\)

Also, even if this were to be correct:

\(\displaystyle \int\frac{d\theta}{\cos(\theta)}\)

We would still have:

\(\displaystyle \int\frac{d\theta}{\cos(\theta)}\ne\ln\left|\cos(\theta)\right|+C\)

We can see this as:

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{d\theta}\left(\ln\left|\cos(\theta)\right|+C\right)=-\tan(\theta)\ne\frac{1}{\cos(\theta}\)

Anyway, after your substitution, we have:

\(\displaystyle \int\,d\theta=\theta+C\)

Now, back-substitute for $\theta$...what do you get?

1. What is trig substitution?

Trig substitution is a technique used in calculus to solve integrals that involve trigonometric functions. It involves substituting trigonometric identities for algebraic expressions in order to simplify the integral.

2. When should I use trig substitution?

Trig substitution is typically used when the integral involves a square root of a quadratic expression or when the integrand contains a sum or difference of squares.

3. How do I choose the appropriate trig substitution?

The choice of trig substitution depends on the form of the integral. For integrals involving expressions of the form x2 + a2, use x = a tan θ. For integrals involving expressions of the form x2 - a2, use x = a sec θ. And for integrals involving expressions of the form a2 - x2, use x = a sin θ or x = a cos θ.

4. What are the common trig identities used in trig substitution?

Some common trig identities used in trig substitution include: sin2θ + cos2θ = 1, tan2θ + 1 = sec2θ, and 1 + cot2θ = csc2θ.

5. Are there any tips for solving integrals using trig substitution?

One helpful tip is to draw a right triangle and label the sides and angles to help you make the appropriate substitution. Also, remember to use the Pythagorean identities to rewrite the integral in terms of trigonometric functions before integrating.