Integral with e^x: Solving for ln(e^2x + 1)

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with the integral of (2e^x)/(e^x+e^-x)dx and the desired result of ln(e^2x + 1). The solution involves simplifying the problem and using u-substitution, with the derivative of e^2x being a key component. The mistake was likely made in this step. The solution involves multiplying the numerator and denominator by e^x and using the substitution t = e^2x + 1 to arrive at the desired result of ln(e^2x + 1).
Michael Gulley
The problem I have is

∫(2e^x)/(e^x+e^-x)dx

I cannot seem to get to the correct result, ln(e^2x + 1). I always have (e^2x)ln(e^2x + 1). What do I need to do, to get rid of the e^2x.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do the problem correctly. How's that for a nice vague reply? Unfortunately, that's about all anyone can say without seeing your work. How are we supposed to see where you're going wrong if you don't show your work?

Step 1. Try to simplify the problem (i.e., take any constants out of the integral).

Step 2. You may want to try u-substitution.

Hint: What's the derivative of e^2x?

I think this is probably where the mistake was made.

Its simple. Multiply your numerator and denominator by e^x. This will get you (2e^2x)/(e^2x + 1)dx. Now suppose your whole denominator as another variable,say, t. Calculate dt which will be equal to 2e^2xdx.
So now your integral is in the form of (1/t)dt. Integration of this will give you ln(t). Substitute back the value of 't' and there you have it.

What is the purpose of solving for ln(e^2x + 1) when using integrals with e^x?

The purpose of solving for ln(e^2x + 1) is to find the antiderivative of the function e^2x + 1. This allows for the calculation of the definite integral, which can provide useful information about the original function.

What is the process for solving for ln(e^2x + 1) using integrals with e^x?

The process for solving for ln(e^2x + 1) involves using the substitution method. The variable u is substituted for the expression inside the natural logarithm, and the derivative of u is used to replace the differential dx. This will then simplify the integral and allow for easier integration.

Can ln(e^2x + 1) be solved without using the substitution method?

Yes, ln(e^2x + 1) can also be solved using integration by parts. This method involves splitting the integral into two parts, one of which becomes the new u and the other becomes the new dv. This method can be used as an alternative to the substitution method.

What is the importance of using e^x in the integral with ln(e^2x + 1)?

The use of e^x in the integral with ln(e^2x + 1) is important because it is the base of the natural logarithm. This allows for the simplification of the integral and makes the integration process easier.

Are there any real-world applications of solving for ln(e^2x + 1) using integrals with e^x?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of solving for ln(e^2x + 1) using integrals with e^x. Some examples include calculating the growth rate of bacteria, determining the rate of change in population growth, and predicting the rate of decay of radioactive substances.