1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral with functions of two variablesHelp!

1. Oct 30, 2012 #1
    I really need help with this problem.

Find the volume of the solid enclosed by the surface z=1+exsiny and the planes x=±1, y=0, y=pi and z= 0

My logic tells me that
    we have some rectangles R[-1,1]x[0,pi] but I'm confused by the z=0

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The planes ##x=\pm 1, y=0, y=\pi## form the vertical side walls of the solid. The plane ##z=0## forms the "floor" or base of the solid. The equation ##z=e^x\sin y+1## is the curvy roof of the solid. Does that help?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  4. Oct 30, 2012 #3
    This gives me a better picture of what is going on :)
    So I will double integrate the function z, first with respect to x in the inverval [-1,1] and then with respect to y in the interval [0,2]

I guess there is no reason to include z=0, or do i somehow have to include that plane in the equation as well?

5. Oct 30, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is automatically included in that formula for volume:$$
    \iint_A (z_{upper} - z_{lower})\, dydx$$In this case ##z_{lower}= 0##.

6. Oct 30, 2012 #5
    Ahh i see. so upper is z=e^x*sin(y) +1 and if we integrate it with respect to x we get ex*sin(y)+x because y is a constant so y is a constant right? :) and then we insert upper and lower limit (-1,1) and do the same for y with limits [0,2]

7. Oct 30, 2012 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes.

8. Oct 30, 2012 #7
    When i integrate with respect to x first with limit [-1,1] i get e*sin(y)-e-1*sin(y)

Jesus i gotta lern to write in latex!! '
    if i type ∫ e*sin(y)-e-1*sin(y), y,0,2) into my calculator i get 3,32 does that sound right. And do you know of any way to type the whole ting into a ti89 with limits for both?

Btw. Thank you for helping out!

9. Oct 30, 2012 #8

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That looks correct, but why would you want to use a calculator in the first place? Can't you just leave the exact answer in terms of ##e## and ##\cos 2##?

10. Oct 30, 2012 #9
    Yes I can and finally did it all by hand!
    It always feels rewarding when you succeed in doing the things you find most difficult :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook