Integral with functions of two variablesHelp

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of a solid enclosed by a curvy surface and several planes. The individual mentions using integration to solve the problem and confirms the correct calculation. They also express gratitude for the help and mention the satisfaction of solving a difficult problem.
christian0710
I really need help with this problem.

Find the volume of the solid enclosed by the surface z=1+exsiny and the planes x=±1, y=0, y=pi and z= 0

My logic tells me that
we have some rectangles R[-1,1]x[0,pi] but I'm confused by the z=0

Physics news on Phys.org
christian0710 said:
I really need help with this problem.

Find the volume of the solid enclosed by the surface z=1+exsiny and the planes x=±1, y=0, y=pi and z= 0 My logic tells me that
we have some rectangles R[-1,1]x[0,pi] but I'm confused by the z=0

The planes ##x=\pm 1, y=0, y=\pi## form the vertical side walls of the solid. The plane ##z=0## forms the "floor" or base of the solid. The equation ##z=e^x\sin y+1## is the curvy roof of the solid. Does that help?

Last edited:
This gives me a better picture of what is going on :)
So I will double integrate the function z, first with respect to x in the inverval [-1,1] and then with respect to y in the interval [0,2]

I guess there is no reason to include z=0, or do i somehow have to include that plane in the equation as well?

christian0710 said:
This gives me a better picture of what is going on :)
So I will double integrate the function z, first with respect to x in the inverval [-1,1] and then with respect to y in the interval [0,2]

I guess there is no reason to include z=0, or do i somehow have to include that plane in the equation as well?

It is automatically included in that formula for volume:$$
\iint_A (z_{upper} - z_{lower})\, dydx$$In this case ##z_{lower}= 0##.

Ahh i see. so upper is z=e^x*sin(y) +1 and if we integrate it with respect to x we get ex*sin(y)+x because y is a constant so y is a constant right? :) and then we insert upper and lower limit (-1,1) and do the same for y with limits [0,2]

christian0710 said:
Ahh i see. so upper is z=e^x*sin(y) +1 and if we integrate it with respect to x we get ex*sin(y)+x because y is a constant so y is a constant right? :) and then we insert upper and lower limit (-1,1) and do the same for y with limits [0,2]

Yes.

When i integrate with respect to x first with limit [-1,1] i get e*sin(y)-e-1*sin(y)

Jesus i got to lern to write in latex! '
if i type ∫ e*sin(y)-e-1*sin(y), y,0,2) into my calculator i get 3,32 does that sound right. And do you know of any way to type the whole ting into a ti89 with limits for both?

Btw. Thank you for helping out!

christian0710 said:
When i integrate with respect to x first with limit [-1,1] i get e*sin(y)-e-1*sin(y)

Jesus i got to lern to write in latex! '
if i type ∫ e*sin(y)-e-1*sin(y), y,0,2) into my calculator i get 3,32 does that sound right. And do you know of any way to type the whole ting into a ti89 with limits for both?

Btw. Thank you for helping out!

That looks correct, but why would you want to use a calculator in the first place? Can't you just leave the exact answer in terms of ##e## and ##\cos 2##?

Yes I can and finally did it all by hand!
It always feels rewarding when you succeed in doing the things you find most difficult :)

1. What is an integral with functions of two variables?

An integral with functions of two variables is a mathematical concept that involves finding the area under a two-dimensional surface defined by a function. It is a type of multivariable calculus that is used to solve a variety of real-world problems.

2. How is an integral with functions of two variables different from a single variable integral?

The main difference is that a single variable integral involves finding the area under a one-dimensional curve, while an integral with functions of two variables involves finding the volume under a two-dimensional surface. This requires a different set of techniques and formulas to solve.

3. What are some applications of integrals with functions of two variables?

Integrals with functions of two variables are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. They can be used to find the area and volume of irregular shapes, calculate the work done by a force, and determine the probability distribution of a random variable.

4. What are the steps to solve an integral with functions of two variables?

The general steps to solve an integral with functions of two variables are: 1) Identify the limits of integration, 2) Set up the integral by defining the function and the variables, 3) Evaluate the integral using appropriate techniques such as double integration or polar coordinates, 4) Simplify the result if possible, and 5) Interpret the solution in the context of the problem.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving an integral with functions of two variables?

Some common mistakes include: 1) Forgetting to define the limits of integration, 2) Using the wrong integration technique, 3) Forgetting to include the differential (dx or dy) in the integral, 4) Making algebraic errors while simplifying the result, and 5) Forgetting to interpret the solution in the context of the problem. It is important to double-check your work and be familiar with the necessary techniques to avoid these mistakes.