Integral with hyperbolic: cosh x

In summary, the conversation is about trying to solve an integral related to discounting investments and the use of substitutions and tricks to find the answer. The correct answer is tanh(x/2)+C, which can be obtained by using hyperbolic identities for half-arguments and the fundamental identity.
FelixHelix
I cannot reach the answer for this integral which is part of a bigger question related to discounting investments. I know what the answer to the integral is and have tried all the substitutions and tricks I know. Any pointer would be great!

∫(1/(1+cosh(x))) = tanh(x) + C

Thanks, Felix

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, does:
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}tanh(x)=\frac{1}{\cosh^{2}(x)}[/tex] equal your integrand?

No, the integrand is 1/(1+cosh(x))

The integral is readily evaluated by using:
[tex]\int\frac{dx}{1+\cosh(x)}dx=\int\frac{dx}{1+\cosh(x)}\frac{1-\cosh(x)}{1-\cosh(x)}dx=\int\frac{1-\cosh(x)}{-\sinh^{2}(x)}dx[/tex]

FelixHelix said:
No, the integrand is 1/(1+cosh(x))
Correct!
So, what must the purported answer be called?

I see,thats a good trick i hadnt thought of using. But how would you manipulate the integral you end up with?

arildno said:
Correct!
So, what must the purported answer be called?
?? I'm not sure??

FelixHelix said:
?? I'm not sure??

Maybe what is called TOTALLY WRONG!

To give you a hint:
The correct answer is tanh(x/2)+C, not tanh(x)+C

yes a typo indeed - apologies. What substitution do u use to get there though - i don't see it!

First off:
You can easily do the integral the way I indicated.
THEN, find the appropriate hyperbolic identities for half-arguments (very analogous to the more well-known half-angle formulas for the trig functions). The result will simplify to tanh(x/2)

We have:
[tex]\sinh(x)=2\cosh(\frac{x}{2})\sinh(\frac{x}{2}),\cosh(x)=\cosh^{2}(\frac{x}{2})+\sinh^{2}(\frac{x}{2})[/tex]
Note the similarity to the trig identities!
You'll probably also need the fundamental identity:
[tex]1==\cosh^{2}(\frac{x}{2})-\sinh^{2}(\frac{x}{2})[/tex]

Ill take a look in the morning - thanks for your help!

1. What is the definition of cosh x?

Cosh x is a hyperbolic function that is defined as the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse of a right triangle with a hyperbolic angle x.

2. How is cosh x related to the exponential function?

Cosh x is related to the exponential function by the following equation: cosh x = (e^x + e^(-x)) / 2. This can be seen by expanding the Taylor series of the exponential function and substituting in x for the variable.

3. What is the domain and range of cosh x?

The domain of cosh x is all real numbers, while the range is [1, ∞). This means that cosh x can take on any real value as an input, but its output will always be a positive value greater than or equal to 1.

4. How is the integral of cosh x related to the area under the curve?

The integral of cosh x is equal to the area under the curve of the function from 0 to x. This means that the definite integral of cosh x can be used to find the area of the region bounded by the curve of the function and the x-axis.

5. What is the derivative of cosh x?

The derivative of cosh x is sinh x. This can be found by using the definition of the derivative and the chain rule, or by using the fact that cosh x is the inverse function of sinh x.