1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrals of normal derivatives

1. May 10, 2006 #1
    Hi can someone please help me out with the following questions?

Supposed that [itex]\phi [/itex] is a C^2 function which satisfies Laplace's equation [itex]\nabla ^2 \phi = \nabla \bullet \nabla \phi = 0[/itex] everywhere in a region V bounded by a closed surface S.

a) If [tex]\frac{{\partial \phi }}{{\partial n}} = \mathop n\limits^ \to \bullet \nabla \phi [/tex] denotes the direction derivative of [itex]\phi[/itex] in the direction of the outward unit normal n, establish the following.

[tex]
    \int\limits_{}^{} {\int\limits_S^{} {\frac{{\partial \phi }}{{\partial n}}} \partial S = 0}
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \int\limits_{}^{} {\int\limits_S^{} {\phi \frac{{\partial \phi }}{{\partial n}}dS = \int\limits_{}^{} {\int\limits_{}^{} {\int\limits_V^{} {\left\| {\nabla \phi } \right\|^2 } } } } } dV
    [/tex]

b) If [tex]\frac{{\partial \phi }}{{\partial n}}[/tex] vanishes everywhere on S, deduce from the second result that [itex]\phi[/itex] must be constant in V.

c) If [itex]\phi[/itex] vanishes everywhere on S, deduce from the second result that [itex]\phi[/itex] must vanish everywhere in V.

Part a: Phi is a function of three variables, otherwise the question wouldn't really make sense. I tried to visualise what the statement meant so I tried some specific cases. If S is a hemisphere then V is a half unit ball. The gradient of phi is pendicular to level sets of phi so in this case the gradient of phi is a normal to V (since phi is a function of three variables). So in this case, the unit normal n, to S, is parallel to grad(phi). So how can the integral be zero? The integrand is non-zero. I'm not sure what to do here.

For the second result I'm fairly sure that I need to apply the divergence theorem. But I don't really know how to 'div' the integrand of the surface integral because I don't what the normal, n, is. I think I might need to use a general property somewhere here but again I really don't know what to do.

Part b: If the partial derivative with respect to n is zero on S then from the second result, the triple integral on the RHS must be equal to zero everywhere in V. This can only be the case if the integrand (grad(phi))^2 is identically zero. So phi is constant in V? Not sure.

Part c: I can't think of a way to do this.

ANy help would be good thanks.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted