1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Integrals of trigonometric functions over [o,2pi]

1. Jun 30, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    ∫dθ/(1+βcosθ)^2 ; -1<β<1
    θ=0 to 2pi

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    attempt solution:

1) make substitution:
    dθ=dz/iz
    Z=e^iθ
    cosθ=1/2(Z+1/z)

2) substitute:

1/i*dz/(β+Z(1+(β^2)/2)+((3βZ^2)/2)+((β^2)Z^3)/4)+((β^2))/4Z)

3) Next ?

3a)Find the poles ?
    We dont know how....

3b)Compute the residues

3c)Calculate integral
    :)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2010 #2
    That's a tough one I think jwhite. Need to know how to find the poles to calculate the residue. First write it clearly:

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{dt}{(1+b\cos(t))^2}[/tex]

and doing the [itex]z=e^{it}[/itex] substitution, I get:

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{dt}{(1+b\cos(t))^2}=-i\mathop\oint\limits_{|z|=1}\frac{dz}{z}\frac{4z^2}{\big(2z+bz^2+b\big)^2}=-i\mathop\oint\limits_{|z|=1}\frac{4z}{\big(2z+bz^2+b\big)^2}[/tex]

Now, you can figure when that denominator is zero to find the poles and then figure which ones are in the unit circle when [itex]-1<b<1[/itex]. Note when you factor it (don't forget to factor out the b first), and the factors are squared, that means the poles are second order. You'll need to know how to compute the residue of a second-order pole. For example, if it were:

[tex]\frac{4z}{(z-z1)^2(z-z2)^2}[/tex]

then the residue at for example z2 would be:

[tex]\mathop\text{Res}\limits_{z=z2}\left\{\frac{4z}{(z-z1)^2(z-z2)^2}\right\}=\frac{d}{dz}\left(\frac{4z}{(z-z1)^2}\right)\biggr|_{z=z2}[/tex]

4. Jul 1, 2010 #3
    Thank you very much Jackmell, really appreciate it.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook