1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrals of vector functions

1. Nov 29, 2012 #1
    What is the geometrical significance of the definite integral of a vector function if any?

e.g. if you integrate a vector function that gives the velocity of some particle between t1 and t2, the vector we get indicates the distance travelled in the i, j and k directions right? does the direction of this vector have any meaning? Also, is there a geometric interpretation of this value like area under the curve for the definite integral of a scalar function?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2012 #2
    specifically the integral of the velocity vector over time will give you the displacement vector, and the direction of this points in the direction of the particle's position at t2 relative to its position at t1.

I'm not sure what you want for a geometric interpretation. There are three curves and three areas- the distances travelled in each of the three directions of i, j and k.

4. Nov 29, 2012 #3
    Thanks. nah i was just wondering if there was somehow an area interpretation like with scalar functions

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook