Integrate: Integrating ((arcsin((x^2 + a) / (b*x))) - c) / x

• Thread starter nova1989
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, there is no closed form solution for the given integral with constants a, b, and c. The suggested methods of integration by parts and using the Wolfram online integrator have not been successful. There is a solution given by Mathematica, but it involves an elliptic integral and is not considered a simple function. It is possible that a solution may be found in the future, but for now, it remains unsolved.
nova1989
Trying to integrate:

((arcsin((x^2 + a) / (b*x))) - c) / x dx

where a, b, c are constants.

No success so far. I've tried integration by parts, but the resulting integral is more complex than the starting integral above!

The free Wolfram online integrator doesn't even read the syntax correctly!

Any assistance appreciated. It's been many years since I last looked at a problem like this.

nova

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I doubt that there is a closed form solution in 'usual' functions.

Mathematica gives something like
[tex]-\frac{\sin ^{-1}\left(x^2+a\right)}{b x}-\frac{2 i \sqrt{\frac{x^2}{a-1}+1} \sqrt{\frac{x^2}{a+1}+1} F\left(i \sinh ^{-1}\left(\sqrt{\frac{1}{a+1}}
x\right)|\frac{a+1}{a-1}\right)}{\sqrt{\frac{1}{a+1}} b \sqrt{-\left(x^2+a-1\right) \left(x^2+a+1\right)}}-c \log (x)[/tex]
where [itex]F(\phi, m)[/itex] is some elliptic integral "of the first kind".

In short, I share CRGreathouse's doubts :smile:

I believe it does not have a solution in terms of simple functions.

Many thanks to everyone for the replies. Seems I'm out of luck for a closed form solution.

However, if you do think of a possible solution at some point, I would be most grateful for your advice.

Best regards.

Yes, there is a solution. I posted it. I'm thinking of it now. If you insist, you can copy it. Or write n(x) and call it nova's function.

1. What is the general formula for integrating ((arcsin((x^2 + a) / (b*x))) - c) / x?

The general formula for integrating ((arcsin((x^2 + a) / (b*x))) - c) / x is ∫((arcsin((x^2 + a) / (b*x))) - c) / x dx = (1/2b) * (x^2 + a)^(-1/2) * √(1 - (x^2 + a)/b^2) - cx + C, where C is the constant of integration.

2. Can ((arcsin((x^2 + a) / (b*x))) - c) / x be integrated using the substitution method?

Yes, ((arcsin((x^2 + a) / (b*x))) - c) / x can be integrated using the substitution method. A suitable substitution would be u = (x^2 + a) / (b*x), which would simplify the integrand to (1/b) * arcsin(u) - c, making it easier to integrate.

3. Is there a specific range of values for x, a, and b where ((arcsin((x^2 + a) / (b*x))) - c) / x can be integrated?

Yes, for ((arcsin((x^2 + a) / (b*x))) - c) / x to be integrable, the values of x, a, and b must satisfy the condition (x^2 + a)/b < 1. This ensures that the arcsin function is defined and the integrand is well-behaved.

4. Are there any special techniques that can be used to integrate ((arcsin((x^2 + a) / (b*x))) - c) / x?

One special technique that can be used to integrate ((arcsin((x^2 + a) / (b*x))) - c) / x is integration by parts. Another technique is to convert the integrand into its Maclaurin series and then integrate each term separately.

5. Is there a way to simplify the integral of ((arcsin((x^2 + a) / (b*x))) - c) / x?

Yes, the integral of ((arcsin((x^2 + a) / (b*x))) - c) / x can be simplified by using trigonometric identities and algebraic manipulation. For example, the identity sin(arcsin(u)) = u can be used to simplify the integrand to just u - c, making it easier to integrate.