1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating a Complex Function Over a Contour

1. Dec 3, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    ##z(t) = t + it^2## and ##f(z) = z^2 = (x^2 - y^2) + 2iyx##

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Because ##f(z)## is analytic everywhere in the plane, the integral of ##f(z)## between the points ##z(1) = (1,1)## and ##z(3) = (3,9)## is independent of the contour (the path taken). So, I can choose a simpler contour which passes through these two points, such as a line.

Using the two points to find the slope, and parameterizing it, we get the straight-line contour

##z_1(\tau) = \tau + i(4 \tau + 3)##.

Here is where I am having difficulty. How exactly do I find the interval between the two points? This is how I did it, but am I unsure if it is correct:

##z(\tau) = (1,1) \implies##

##(\tau, 4 \tau + 3) = (1,1)##

which gives us the two equations

##\tau = 1## and ##4 \tau + 3 = 1##.

However, I get a different ##\tau## value from each equation. What can account for this?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2014 #2
    I found the mistake. The straight-line contour should actually be ##z_1(t) = \tau + i(2 \tau \underbrace{-} 3)##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted