Integrating a Complex Function Over a Contour

In summary, we are analyzing the functions z(t) and f(z) which have been given as t + it^2 and z^2 = (x^2 - y^2) + 2iyx respectively. We are trying to find the integral of f(z) between the points z(1) = (1,1) and z(3) = (3,9) independent of the contour. To simplify the contour, we can use a straight line passing through these two points, which can be parameterized as z_1(t) = t + i(2t - 3). However, there was a mistake in the initial parameterization given and the correct one
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

##z(t) = t + it^2## and ##f(z) = z^2 = (x^2 - y^2) + 2iyx##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Because ##f(z)## is analytic everywhere in the plane, the integral of ##f(z)## between the points ##z(1) = (1,1)## and ##z(3) = (3,9)## is independent of the contour (the path taken). So, I can choose a simpler contour which passes through these two points, such as a line.

Using the two points to find the slope, and parameterizing it, we get the straight-line contour

##z_1(\tau) = \tau + i(4 \tau + 3)##.

Here is where I am having difficulty. How exactly do I find the interval between the two points? This is how I did it, but am I unsure if it is correct:

##z(\tau) = (1,1) \implies##

##(\tau, 4 \tau + 3) = (1,1)##

which gives us the two equations

##\tau = 1## and ##4 \tau + 3 = 1##.

However, I get a different ##\tau## value from each equation. What can account for this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I found the mistake. The straight-line contour should actually be ##z_1(t) = \tau + i(2 \tau \underbrace{-} 3)##

Related to Integrating a Complex Function Over a Contour

What is a complex function?

A complex function is a mathematical function that takes complex numbers as inputs and outputs complex numbers. It can be written in the form of f(z) = u(x,y) + iv(x,y), where z is a complex number with real and imaginary parts (x and y), u(x,y) is the real part of the function, and v(x,y) is the imaginary part of the function.

What is integration over a contour?

Integration over a contour is a mathematical technique used to evaluate the integral of a complex function along a specific curve or path in the complex plane. It involves breaking down the contour into smaller segments and using the properties of complex numbers to calculate the integral.

What is the purpose of integrating a complex function over a contour?

The main purpose of integrating a complex function over a contour is to evaluate the integral of a complex function that cannot be evaluated using traditional integration techniques. It also allows for the evaluation of complex functions over non-standard regions in the complex plane.

What are the key steps involved in integrating a complex function over a contour?

The key steps involved in integrating a complex function over a contour are: 1) parameterizing the contour, 2) breaking down the contour into smaller segments, 3) evaluating the integral along each segment using complex analysis techniques, and 4) adding the results of each segment to obtain the final value of the integral.

What types of problems can be solved using integration over a contour?

Integration over a contour can be used to solve a variety of problems in complex analysis, including finding the area of regions in the complex plane, evaluating improper integrals, and solving differential equations with complex coefficients. It is also commonly used in physics and engineering applications.