Integrating [itex]\frac{\partial f(x,y)}{\partial y(x)}[/itex] with respect to x

In summary, the person is trying to apply Leibniz's rule for an integrand, but does not understand what the partial is or how to differentiate with respect to y. They attempted to work with the partial by expanding it according to the chain rule, but did not understand what the factor \frac{dx}{dy} meant. They eventually got help from someone else and were able to integrate the equation correctly.
nasshi
I don't know how to apply Leibniz's rule for this integrand. I believe there is a substitution to allow me to express this integral differently, but the partial being a function of what we're integrating by is confusing me.

[itex]\int^{b}_{a} \frac{\partial f(x,y)}{\partial y(x)} dx[/itex]

Knowns are that [itex][a,b][/itex] is a subset of the domain of [itex]x[/itex] and that [itex]y[/itex] is a function of [itex]x[/itex].

Can someone please suggest something to get me started, or ask me a question that may get my brain going in the right direction?

I attempted working with [itex]\int^{b}_{a} \frac{\partial f(x,y)}{\partial x} \frac{dx}{dy}dx[/itex] by expanding the partial according to the chain rule, but I didn't think it helped me.

Edit: I didn't think the above would help because what exactly does [itex][f(b,y) - f(a,y)]\frac{dx}{dy}[/itex] mean? I don't know how to interpret the factor [itex]\frac{dx}{dy}[/itex].

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand your notation. [itex]\partial f/\partial y[/itex] is defined as the derivative of y, treating x as a constant. With that definition, [itex]\partial f/\partial y(x)[/itex] is meaningless. If y is a function of x and x is a constant, then y is a constant, not a variable and we cannot differentiate with respect to it. And the problem you are working on, [itex]\int_a^b\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{dx}{dy}dx[/itex] does not imply that. You are, I think, using the chain rule incorrectly. You want, of course, "df" so that you can integrate. But the chain rule gives [itex]df= \left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{dx}{dy}+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\right)dy[/itex], not at all what you have- in addition to an additional term, you end with "dx", not "dy".

The fundamental problem is that your integral, [itex]\int_a^b\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{dx}{dy}dx[/itex] has an "extra" [itex]\frac{1}{dy}[/itex] that just doesn't make sense in an integral.

nasshi said:
I don't know how to apply Leibniz's rule for this integrand.

You can apply it but I don't think it will make much difference. Note:

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\int_a^b f(x,y)dx=\int_a^b \frac{\partial f}{\partial y} dx[/tex]

Last edited:
My original equation was taken from something with messy notation, and I lost some subscripts while working part of the larger question out. So I gave you a poorly framed question to answer -- I'm sorry.

In my original question, the function [itex]f(x,y)[/itex] is vector valued, and the integrand is with respect to [itex]dx_{1}[[/itex].

Since I just noticed how sloppy my notation is getting, I'll go back through my problem with more precision before I ask another question.

nasshi said:
My original equation was taken from something with messy notation, and I lost some subscripts while working part of the larger question out. So I gave you a poorly framed question to answer

. . . then I want my money back.

jackmell said:
. . . then I want my money back.

Don't worry, it's... uh... already in the mail! :rolleyes:

Related to Integrating [itex]\frac{\partial f(x,y)}{\partial y(x)}[/itex] with respect to x

1. What is meant by "integrating [itex]\frac{\partial f(x,y)}{\partial y(x)}[/itex] with respect to x?"

"Integrating [itex]\frac{\partial f(x,y)}{\partial y(x)}[/itex] with respect to x" means finding the antiderivative of the function [itex]\frac{\partial f(x,y)}{\partial y(x)}[/itex] with respect to the variable x. This involves finding a function F(x,y) such that [itex]\frac{\partial F(x,y)}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial f(x,y)}{\partial y(x)}[/itex].

2. When is it necessary to integrate [itex]\frac{\partial f(x,y)}{\partial y(x)}[/itex] with respect to x?

Integrating [itex]\frac{\partial f(x,y)}{\partial y(x)}[/itex] with respect to x may be necessary when solving certain problems in multivariable calculus, such as finding the total change in a function with respect to one of its variables.

3. What is the process for integrating [itex]\frac{\partial f(x,y)}{\partial y(x)}[/itex] with respect to x?

The process for integrating [itex]\frac{\partial f(x,y)}{\partial y(x)}[/itex] with respect to x involves using standard integration techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts, to find the antiderivative of the function with respect to x.

4. Can [itex]\frac{\partial f(x,y)}{\partial y(x)}[/itex] be integrated with respect to x even if it is not a function of x?

No, [itex]\frac{\partial f(x,y)}{\partial y(x)}[/itex] can only be integrated with respect to x if it is a function of x. If it is not a function of x, then it cannot be integrated with respect to x.

5. Are there any special cases when integrating [itex]\frac{\partial f(x,y)}{\partial y(x)}[/itex] with respect to x?

One special case when integrating [itex]\frac{\partial f(x,y)}{\partial y(x)}[/itex] with respect to x is when the function is a partial derivative of a single variable function. In this case, the integration will result in the original single variable function, up to a constant term.