1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating to an absolute value?

1. Oct 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need some help understanding an integral step in the example below. I get how the integrand was set up, but I don't get how comes to two expressions with the absolute value of z-L/2.

(Problem description if that is needed: L is the length of a cylinder with radius R, and P is the polarization of the cylinder in direction of its length. Calculate the electric field at a point on the axis of the rod)

2. Relevant equations

http://imageshack.us/a/img594/1895/absolutevalue.png [Broken]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't understand that step really. Google has no answers. I thought that it might have been some absolute value identities, but it seems that was not the case. Is there someone who'd lend a hand?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex] \int_0^R \frac{r}{\sqrt{r^2+a^2}} dr
    = \frac{1}{2} \int_{r=0}^R \frac{d(r^2)}{\sqrt{r^2+a^2}}
    = \frac{1}{2} \int_0^{R^2} \frac{dy}{\sqrt{y+a^2}} = \left. \sqrt{y+a^2}\right|_0^{R^2}[/tex] Look at what you get if a > 0 or a < 0.

RGV

4. Oct 17, 2012 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's because, [itex]\displaystyle \sqrt{u^2}=|u|\ .[/itex]

5. Oct 18, 2012 #4
    Wow thank you. That was pretty helpful

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook