Integrating to an absolute value?

• Thread starter Blastrix91
  • Start date

Homework Statement

I need some help understanding an integral step in the example below. I get how the integrand was set up, but I don't get how comes to two expressions with the absolute value of z-L/2.

(Problem description if that is needed: L is the length of a cylinder with radius R, and P is the polarization of the cylinder in direction of its length. Calculate the electric field at a point on the axis of the rod)

Homework Equations

http://imageshack.us/a/img594/1895/absolutevalue.png [Broken]

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand that step really. Google has no answers. I thought that it might have been some absolute value identities, but it seems that was not the case. Is there someone who'd lend a hand?

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed

Homework Statement

I need some help understanding an integral step in the example below. I get how the integrand was set up, but I don't get how comes to two expressions with the absolute value of z-L/2.

(Problem description if that is needed: L is the length of a cylinder with radius R, and P is the polarization of the cylinder in direction of its length. Calculate the electric field at a point on the axis of the rod)

Homework Equations

I don't understand that step really. Google has no answers. I thought that it might have been some absolute value identities, but it seems that was not the case. Is there someone who'd lend a hand?

[tex] \int_0^R \frac{r}{\sqrt{r^2+a^2}} dr
= \frac{1}{2} \int_{r=0}^R \frac{d(r^2)}{\sqrt{r^2+a^2}}
= \frac{1}{2} \int_0^{R^2} \frac{dy}{\sqrt{y+a^2}} = \left. \sqrt{y+a^2}\right|_0^{R^2}[/tex] Look at what you get if a > 0 or a < 0.

RGV

SammyS
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

It's because, [itex]\displaystyle \sqrt{u^2}=|u|\ .[/itex]

Wow thank you. That was pretty helpful