Integration along two separate paths.

• Thread starter petewil2009
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving a given variation and demonstrating that the integral is path independent and equal to u(B)-u(A) by integrating deltau along two different paths from point A(1,1) to point B(3,2). The first path has a constant y from x=1 to x=3 and then the x is constant from y=1 to y=2. The second path is the opposite, with the x being held constant until y=2 and then y being constant until x=3. The goal is to compute the path integral along both paths and compare the results to show that they are equal.
petewil2009

Homework Statement

The variation:
deltau = (6x^2y+3lny)dx + (2x^3+3x/y)dy
is an exact differential and u is given by
u = 2x^3y+3xlny
Demonstrate by integrating deltau along the two different paths from point A(1,1) to point B(3,2) (one path has a constant y from x=1 to x=3 and then the x is constant from y=1 to y=2, the second path is just the opposite, first the x is held constant until y=2 and then y is constant until x=3, essentially each path is two line segments that make up a rectangular looking graph) that the integral is path independent and equal to u(B)-u(A).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I have tried differentiate the equation twice. The first time setting y=0, x=2, dy=0 then doing it again with y=1, x=0, and dx=0. For the x=0 integration I got 10 and for y=0 I got 42.5 and then I added them together. I then substituted in y=x^2. That is my second path, however as I am writing this out I am realizing this is probably very wrong. Regardless I did the same thing integrating with the substituted y as I did earlier. This gave an answer of 341.5. My conclusion is that 52.5 does not equal 341.5 and since this is an exact differential both answers should be the same due to the path independence...:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea what you are doing. You are just supposed to compute the path integral of du along the two different paths and compare the results. You don't have to differentiate du, and I don't see any part of the path where y=0. Start by computing the path integral along the first segment of the first path. From (1,1) to (3,1). What do you get?

petewil2009 said:

Homework Statement

The variation:
deltau = (6x^2y+3lny)dx + (2x^3+3x/y)dy
is an exact differential and u is given by
u = 2x^3y+3xlny
Demonstrate by integrating deltau along the two different paths from point A(1,1) to point B(3,2) (one path has a constant y from x=1 to x=3 and then the x is constant from y=1 to y=2, the second path is just the opposite, first the x is held constant until y=2 and then y is constant until x=3, essentially each path is two line segments that make up a rectangular looking graph) that the integral is path independent and equal to u(B)-u(A).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I have tried differentiate the equation twice.

You don't mean differentiate. You are to do a line integral.
The first time setting y=0, x=2, dy=0 then doing it again with y=1, x=0, and dx=0.

Where are you getting those numbers? Draw a picture of the path starting at (1,1) vertically to (1,2) then continuing horizontally to (3,2). That is the second path described. On the first segment of this path x =1, dx = 0, y = y, dy = dy, and y varies from 1 to 2. Similarly on the second segment. Adding those will complete the work for the second path you were given.
For the x=0 integration I got 10 and for y=0 I got 42.5 and then I added them together. I then substituted in y=x^2. That is my second path, however as I am writing this out I am realizing this is probably very wrong

Neither of the paths described is along the parabola y = x2. See if you can understand the setup I gave above on the first segment and do a similar thing on the others.

FAQ: Integration along two separate paths.

1. What is integration along two separate paths?

Integration along two separate paths is the process of integrating a function over two different paths in a given region. This is usually done to find the total value of a function over a specific area.

2. What is the purpose of integrating along two separate paths?

The purpose of integrating along two separate paths is to calculate the total value of a function over a specific area, which cannot be found by integrating over a single path. It allows for a more accurate calculation of the function's value in a given region.

3. What is the difference between integrating along one path and two separate paths?

The main difference between integrating along one path and two separate paths is that when integrating along one path, the path is fixed and the function is integrated over that single path. However, when integrating along two separate paths, the function is integrated over two different paths, which allows for a more precise calculation of the function's value in a given region.

4. How is integration along two separate paths calculated?

Integration along two separate paths is calculated by breaking down the given region into two separate paths and integrating the function over each path separately. The two results are then added together to find the total value of the function in that region.

5. What are the applications of integrating along two separate paths?

Integrating along two separate paths is useful in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, and mathematics. It is commonly used in calculating the work done by a force in a given region, calculating the flux of a vector field, and finding the total charge enclosed within a closed path in an electric field.

Back