1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration Applications Question

1. Jun 2, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi, the question just states find the area of the pink, within a square, without giving an equation for the pink boundary line. I did look up the formula for the lens shape but was wondering how to do this with integration. The area of the square is 1 un2.

Sorry about the image, wasn't sure if I could post a textbook question.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using the area of a lens shape I got (π/2) - 1.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2017 #2

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hmm. Any more info? Is it a section of a circle with a radius 1 unit, for example? What did you do to come up with your answer of (pi/2) - 1? So if it is a quarter circle, for example, what can you say about the area outside of the shaded area?

4. Jun 2, 2017 #3
    That's all the information was. The diagonal of the square is √2 using Pythagoras but nothing else I could extrapolate. I got (π/2) -1 by finding a rule for the area of a lens and went from there. The textbook says the answer is (π/2) - 1 but it's in integral applications so I probably can't just use a rule for area.

5. Jun 2, 2017 #4

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Suppose that one of the arcs is a quarter circle. What is the radius of that circle? From that, what is the area of that quarter circle (not your shaded area, but from the center of the circle to the edge. Subtract that from the area of the square. Do you see any symmetry?

6. Jun 2, 2017 #5
    Yeah the arcs were symmetrical. Thanks for the help I figured it out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted