Approximating f(m) in Integration: Exploring Bounds and Taylor Expansion

In summary: Your polynomial approximation should be pretty good then.In summary, the speakers are discussing an integration problem involving the function f(m) = Integrate [ exp( -0.5* (sin(x)^2) *m) dx, x=0:pi/2] with the variable m. They mention using approximations or maximum/minimum bounds for f(m) because it cannot be solved properly. One speaker suggests using the fact that sin(x) is bounded by 0 and 1, combined with the monotonicity of exp(-x), to obtain bounds. Another speaker suggests using a Taylor's expansion around m-pi/2 to get a polynomial approximation for f(m).
Togli
It is basically an integration that cannot be properly solved, so I look for an approximation or maximum&minimum bounds of f1(m) and f2(m) such that f1(m) < f(m) < f2(m).

Here is the integral: f(m) = Integrate [ exp( -0.5* (sin(x)^2) *m) dx, x=0:pi/2] where m is a variable.

When I take sinx ~ x when x is close to 0, it becomes Integrate[exp(-0.5x^2)], but the solution to that is "error function" having a closed form.

So can anyone suggest a "good" approximation (or minimum/maximum bounds) to f(m)? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Two very simple approximations spring to mind, on the interval [tex][0,\pi /2][/tex], you know that [tex] 0\leqslant\sin x\leqslant 1[/tex], but you need to couple this to the fact that [tex]\exp (-x)[/tex] is a strictly decreasing function, this will give you bounds but I don't know if they're the ones you want.

Or failing that, you could calculate f'(m) on the interval of interest and treat it like a normal calculus problem.

Thank you! You are right, it is easy to show that

pi/2 * exp(-0.5*m) < f(m) < pi/2

by simply inserting sin(x) for the boundaries. However, these are a bit relaxed bounds, I prefer a real approximation.

I did not understand your statement about f'(m); if I take the derivative as you say

d/dm f(m) = f'(m) = Integrate [ -0.5* (sin(x)^2) * exp( -0.5* (sin(x)^2) *m) dx, x=0:pi/2]

I am not sure how I proceed then?

It depends what you mean by real approximation I suppose, you are allowed to do that with the boundaries because on [0,pi/2], both sin^2(x) and e^-x are monotonic. It depends on what you want the approximation for. For small values of m, the approximation is pretty good. For large values of m, you have a well known expansion which works and you can integrate that to get an approximation, I don't think however that m has to be all that large. for the value to be fairly close to zero.

In fact, the range of m in my problem is : 0 < m < 2*pi

And yes, for m ~ 0, the approximation exp(-0.5*m) ~ 1

but for large m ~ 2pi, exp(-0.5*2*pi) = 0.04, hence it substantially deviates from 1.

I am not sure whether Taylor's expansion exp(-x)=[tex]\sum[/tex] (-x^n) / n! would work in this case however, as you suggest. I'll give a try though.

I would do a Taylors expansion around m-pi/2.

What is integration approximation?

Integration approximation is a method used to estimate the value of a definite integral when the exact solution is not readily available. It involves breaking down the integral into smaller, more manageable parts and using numerical techniques to calculate an approximate solution.

What are the common numerical techniques used in integration approximation?

Some common numerical techniques used in integration approximation include the trapezoidal rule, Simpson's rule, and the midpoint rule. These methods involve using a series of smaller intervals to approximate the area under the curve and then summing these areas to get an overall approximation of the integral.

How accurate are integration approximations?

The accuracy of integration approximations depends on the method used and the number of intervals used in the calculation. Generally, the more intervals used, the more accurate the approximation will be. However, it is important to note that integration approximations are not exact solutions and will always have some degree of error.

When should integration approximation be used?

Integration approximation should be used when the exact solution of an integral is not necessary or when it is not possible to find an analytical solution. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, where complex integrals often arise in real-world problems.

What are the advantages of using integration approximation?

There are several advantages of using integration approximation, including its ability to handle complex integrals that do not have analytical solutions, its flexibility in choosing the number of intervals for a desired level of accuracy, and its ease of implementation with computer programs. It also allows for quicker calculations compared to manual methods, making it a valuable tool for solving real-world problems.