Integration by partial fractions.

In summary, the person is having trouble solving a system of equations and thinks there may be a cruel joke involved. They get partial fractions for the integrand and find that the numerators are all equal to the number of days in a year.
Econometricia
1.[tex]\int[/tex]2x^2+x+9/(9x+1)(x^2+9) dx

2. (A/9x+1) + [(Bx + C ) / (x^2 + 9)]

I get the worst numbers when I solve the system. The question is from an old exam and calculators are not allowed. Am I doing something wrong or is there another way to integrate this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure of the numbers you are getting? IOW, did you check to make sure that your two separate fractions add up to the larger one?

Yes, I used a solver to check my work because it did not seem right. I am fairly sure the fractions are broken up properly as well. =(

Yes, your decomposition is fine. Out of curiosity, what did you get for A, B, and C?

a=37/41 b=5/41 c = 7/41 I mean its not that outrageous I guess. I guess I just assume I do things wrong lol.

Just to make sure, the integrand is

[tex]\frac{2x^2+x+9}{(9x+1)(x^2+9)}[/tex]

and not

[tex]2x^2+x+\frac{9}{(9x+1)(x^2+9)}[/tex]

right? In either case, your values for A, B, and C aren't correct. If the first version of the integrand is the right one, the coefficients come out even less pretty.

Yes the first version is correct. -.- Do you have any suggestions?

your partial fractions expansion is:

[tex]
\frac{A}{9 x + 1} + \frac{B \, x + C}{x^{2} + 9}
[/tex]

Multiplying both sides by [itex](9 x + 1)(x^{2} + 9)[/itex] and comparing similar terms, you will get 3 equations for 3 unknowns.

I get the following system:

[tex]
\left\{
\begin{array}{rcl}
9 A + C & = & 9 \\

B + 9 C & = & 1 \\

A + 9 B & = & 2
\end{array} \right.
[/tex]

After you multiply by the denominator, I'd set x=-1/9, which allows you to solve for A, then use the equations Dickfore got to solve for B and C.

Yeah... It must be some type of cruel joke.

The denominators for the solutions are equal to the number of days in a year.

361/365 41/365 36/365
It was on an old exam lol. I hope there's nothing like that on our exam =O.

1. What is Integration by Partial Fractions?

Integration by partial fractions is a method used in calculus to simplify and solve integrals involving rational functions. It involves breaking down a complex rational function into simpler fractions that can be easily integrated.

2. When is Integration by Partial Fractions used?

Integration by partial fractions is typically used when the integrand (the function being integrated) is a rational function with a degree in the numerator that is less than or equal to the degree in the denominator. In other words, when the integrand can be written as a fraction of polynomials.

3. What are the steps involved in Integration by Partial Fractions?

The general steps for integration by partial fractions are as follows:

1. Factor the denominator of the rational function into its irreducible factors.
  2. Write the rational function as a sum of simpler fractions with the irreducible factors as denominators.
  3. Find the unknown coefficients of the simpler fractions.
  4. Integrate each of the simpler fractions.
  5. Combine the integrals of the simpler fractions to get the final result.

4. What are some common techniques used in Integration by Partial Fractions?

Some common techniques used in integration by partial fractions include using the Heaviside cover-up method to find the unknown coefficients, using partial fraction tables for common integrals, and using algebraic manipulation to simplify the integrals before integrating.

5. Are there any applications of Integration by Partial Fractions in real life?

Integration by partial fractions has various applications in science and engineering, including in the fields of physics, chemistry, and electrical engineering. It can be used to solve problems involving rate of change, concentration of substances, and electrical circuits.