1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration by parts involving an unknown function

1. Apr 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have attached a picture including 2 equations: (2.13) and (2.14)
    I don't understand how they got from (2.13) to (2.14) using integration by parts

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    For the integral:
    [itex]\int_{\tau_0}^t\sigma(\tau)d\tau= \left[\sigma(\tau)\tau\right]_{\tau_0}^{t}-\int_{\tau_0}^t\dot{\sigma}(\tau)\tau d\tau[/itex]
    by assuming [itex]u=\sigma(\tau)[/itex] and [itex]v'=1[/itex] for integration by parts.
    This gives:
    [itex]\sigma(t)t-\sigma(\tau_0)\tau_0-\int_{\tau_0}^{t}\tau\dot{\sigma}(\tau)d\tau[/itex]

So, even when we do combine this result with the other terms in equation (2.13), I don't understand how (2.14) does not depend on [itex]\sigma(t)[/itex].

Thank you in advance for any ideas.

Attached Files:

• ibp.jpg
      ibp.jpg
      File size:
      11.9 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2012 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hi sara_87! :)

One of your terms is ##\sigma(t)t##.
    You can rewrite that as an integral:

$$t \sigma(t)+C=t \int_{\tau_0}^t \dot\sigma(\tau)d\tau=\int_{\tau_0}^t t \dot\sigma(\tau)d\tau$$

The variable t can be moved into the integral, since you do not integrate over t, so t behaves like a constant with respect to integration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook