Integration by parts SinIntegral[x]

In summary: Dv=sinc(x)+du*dv, and sin(x)=-1 so Dv=-sinc(x)+du*dv. This is what you are trying to integrate.In summary, the problem is trying to integrate sin(x)*sin(x)+cos(x)*cos(x)-1.
eclayj

Homework Statement

Calculate the following integral exactly (no approximations) by the method of integration by parts:

0t SinIntegral[x] dx

Homework Equations

the following hints are given:

D[SinIntegral[x], x] = Sinc[x]; and
SinIntegral[0] = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

The integration by parts forrmula is ∫abu[x]v'[x]dx = u[x]v[x]|ab-∫abv[x]u'[x]dx.

The problem I have is that whether I let u[x]=1 and v'[x]= SinIntegral[x], or u[x]=SinIntegral[x] and v'[x]= 1, either way the integral on the right is more complex than what I started with (either ∫0txSinc[x]; or ∫0tSinIntegral[x].

Any help is appreciated. I hope all the programming tags work here, otherwise this will look like a mess. It may still look like a mess

So it seems to me that, although the question requires the differentiation by parts method, such method does not work because it you get more complicated integrals

Physics news on Phys.org
Wait, maybe I undertstand it. Do you have to use integration by parts method twice? i.e., letting u[x] = SinIntegral[x], and v^\[Prime][x] = 1; u^\[Prime][x] = Sinc[x] ; v[x] = x
Which after applying the formula would get you to tSinIntegral[t] - ∫0tSinc[x]dx.

Then you run the integration by parts once again to find n = ∫0tSinc[x]dx.

Then the final answer will be tSinIntegral[t] - n?

This seems a little tedious, but the question specifically asks you to use the integration by parts formula, so I am guessing this must be it, unless I am missing something obvious... which is usually the case.

nope. Still stuck

Do you know what Sinc(x)․x is ?

Thanks Sammy. I had never encoutered the Sinc Function before. After your hint, and a little help from google, I found that Sinc[x]= (Sin[x])/x. So xSinc[x] should be Sin[x], which makes the problem much easier. I think that should have been another hint given, I'm only working in Calc II ;).

Is it sin int(t)*t+cos(t)-1? since D(sin int(x))=sinc(x)=sin(x)/x, u=sin int(x). If you look a int^udv=uv-int^v*du, du is on the RHS.

What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a method of integration that allows us to integrate the product of two functions by rewriting the integral in a different form. It is based on the product rule for derivatives and is often used to integrate trigonometric functions and exponential functions.

How do you use integration by parts?

To use integration by parts, you must first identify the two functions in the integral that can be rewritten as the product of two simpler functions. Then, using the formula ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, you can rewrite the integral in a different form and solve for the original integral.

What is the formula for integration by parts?

The formula for integration by parts is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are the two functions in the integral and du and dv are their respective differentials. This formula is derived from the product rule for derivatives.

When should I use integration by parts?

Integration by parts is often used when the integral involves a product of two functions, such as trigonometric functions, exponential functions, or polynomials. It is also useful when other methods, such as substitution or partial fractions, do not work.

Can integration by parts be used to solve all integrals?

No, integration by parts cannot be used to solve all integrals. It is most useful for integrals involving products of functions, but there are many integrals that cannot be solved using this method. Other integration techniques, such as substitution, partial fractions, or trigonometric substitution, may be more effective for certain integrals.