Integration by substitution find the area under the graph

In summary, the conversation is about finding the area under the graph of a function using the Weierstrass substitution method, which is not covered in the course. The conversation also mentions using trigonometric identities as an alternative approach.
bobred

Homework Statement

I have the function below which i need to find the area under the graph.

Homework Equations

[tex]\int_{ - \frac {\pi}{4}}^{\frac {\pi}{3}}\frac {2\sec x}{2 + \tan x}dx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I can simplify it to

[tex]\int_{ - \frac {\pi}{4}}^{\frac {\pi}{3}}\frac {2}{2\cos x + \sin x}[/tex]

But I am at a loss as to where to go from here, I've tried all sorts of things. I have Mathcad which has given me the answer, but I want to be able to do it myself. I have been shown the Weierstrass substitution method which I can follow, but it is something that isn't covered by the course.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Now do the substitution. t=tan(x/2). I.e. sin(x)=2t/(1+t^2) etc. Try to integrate the resulting rational function. What's stopping you from continuing? It's sounds like you know the right method.

Hi

Yeah, I get to

2/t^2-t-1

and then I'm not sure what to do.

I seem to be getting -2/(t^2-t-1). But now you complete the square. Write the quadratic as (t-a)^2-b^2. What next?

Hi

I decided to try another route using trig identities.

[tex]\frac{2\sec x}{2+\tan x}=\frac{2}{\sqrt{5}\cos(\theta-x)}=\frac{2}{\sqrt{5}}\cdot\frac{1}{\cos(\theta-x)}=\frac{2}{\sqrt{5}}\cdot\sec(\theta-x)[/tex]

where [tex]\theta=\arctan\left(1/2\right)[/tex]

[tex]\int\frac{2\sec x}{2+\tan x}=\frac{2}{\sqrt{5}}\ln\left|\sec (-\arctan\left(1/2\right)+x)+\tan (-\arctan\left(1/2\right)+x)\right|+c[/tex]

FAQ: Integration by substitution find the area under the graph

1. What is integration by substitution?

Integration by substitution is a method used to find the area under a curve or the definite integral of a function. It involves substituting a variable in the original function with a new variable in order to simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

2. How does integration by substitution work?

The first step in integration by substitution is to identify a suitable substitution, typically by looking for a function within the original function that is the derivative of another function. Then, the original function is rewritten in terms of the new variable and the integral is solved using basic integration techniques. Finally, the answer is converted back to the original variable to obtain the final solution.

3. When should I use integration by substitution?

Integration by substitution is particularly useful when the integrand (the function being integrated) contains a product, a quotient, or a composite function. It is also helpful when the integrand contains functions with complicated exponents or radicals.

4. What are the steps for integrating by substitution?

The general steps for integrating by substitution are: identify a suitable substitution, rewrite the original function in terms of the new variable, differentiate the new variable to find the differential, substitute the new variable and differential into the integral, simplify the integral, and finally convert the answer back to the original variable.

5. Can integration by substitution be used for any integral?

No, integration by substitution can only be used for integrals where a suitable substitution can be identified. If the substitution does not lead to a simpler integral, then another method, such as integration by parts, may be necessary. Additionally, integrals with certain types of functions, such as trigonometric functions, may require specific substitution techniques.