1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration by substitution

1. Jun 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have the function below which i need to find the area under the graph.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\int_{ - \frac {\pi}{4}}^{\frac {\pi}{3}}\frac {2\sec x}{2 + \tan x}dx[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I can simplify it to

[tex]\int_{ - \frac {\pi}{4}}^{\frac {\pi}{3}}\frac {2}{2\cos x + \sin x}[/tex]

But I am at a loss as to where to go from here, I've tried all sorts of things. I have Mathcad which has given me the answer, but I want to be able to do it myself. I have been shown the Weierstrass substitution method which I can follow, but it is something that isn't covered by the course.

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Now do the substitution. t=tan(x/2). I.e. sin(x)=2t/(1+t^2) etc. Try to integrate the resulting rational function. What's stopping you from continuing? It's sounds like you know the right method.

4. Jun 22, 2009 #3
    Hi

Yeah, I get to

2/t^2-t-1

and then I'm not sure what to do.

5. Jun 22, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I seem to be getting -2/(t^2-t-1). But now you complete the square. Write the quadratic as (t-a)^2-b^2. What next?

6. Jun 25, 2009 #5
    Hi

I decided to try another route using trig identities.

[tex]\frac{2\sec x}{2+\tan x}=\frac{2}{\sqrt{5}\cos(\theta-x)}=\frac{2}{\sqrt{5}}\cdot\frac{1}{\cos(\theta-x)}=\frac{2}{\sqrt{5}}\cdot\sec(\theta-x)[/tex]

where [tex]\theta=\arctan\left(1/2\right)[/tex]

[tex]\int\frac{2\sec x}{2+\tan x}=\frac{2}{\sqrt{5}}\ln\left|\sec (-\arctan\left(1/2\right)+x)+\tan (-\arctan\left(1/2\right)+x)\right|+c[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook