How do I find the area between a curve and the x-axis using integration?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the area between the interval of (-1 to 2) for the curve x(x+1)(x-2). The speaker first finds the x-intercepts and integrates the curve. They then discuss the use of absolute value in finding the total area under the curve and the difference between geometric and mathematical interpretations. The conversation ends with a tip on not needing to split the interval when integrating simple continuous functions.
Peter G.
Hi,

Curve: x(x+1)(x-2)

Find the area between the interval: (-1 to 2)

Answer:

The first thing I did was to find the x-intercepts: x=0, x=-1 and x=2

I then integrated the curve. I got: (x4/4)-(x3/3)-(x2)

I then found the area between 0 and -1 and the area between 0 and 2. I added the absolute of both areas and got 37/12. The book, however, claims it is 2.25.

Can anyone help me please?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe your problem is in the absolute value? The area that is below the x-axis should be counted as negative.

Oh, I thought we used the absolute value because we want the total area under the curve. The total area under the curve would be the area below the x-axis plus the are above the x axis, no?

Peter G. said:
Oh, I thought we used the absolute value because we want the total area under the curve. The total area under the curve would be the area below the x-axis plus the are above the x axis, no?

That is a good question...from a purely geometric standpoint then yes. But mathematically the area below the x-axis is taken to be negative because the differential area is defined as:

dA=f(x)dx

and when f(x) is negative then that value of dA will also be negative since dx is positive. This will become second nature to you as you work more problems and see real world integration applications in other courses.

Also another tip...you don't need to worry about splitting the interval up according to the roots, the sign of f(x) will take care of everything. There is nothing wrong with splitting the integral up, but it is not necessary for most simple continuous functions.

Oh, I see. Thanks a lot for the help! I figured now that when the book wants me to perform what I described in the first post they ask for the total area. This question, however, simply asks me to evaluate the integral.

Thanks once again,
PeterG.

1. What is integration and why is it used?

Integration is a mathematical technique used to find the area under a curve. It is used to solve a variety of problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance.

2. How is integration related to differentiation?

Integration and differentiation are inverse operations. Integration finds the total area under a curve, while differentiation finds the rate of change of a curve at a specific point.

3. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integration?

Definite integration finds the exact value of the area under a curve between two specific points, while indefinite integration finds the general antiderivative of a function.

4. What are some common integration techniques?

Some common integration techniques include the power rule, substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution.

5. How can integration be used in real-life applications?

Integration is used in a variety of real-life applications, such as finding the total distance traveled by a moving object, calculating the volume of irregular shapes, and determining the amount of work done by a force.