Integration in Frequency Domain

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to integrate a complex function over a section of the real axis. The goal is to find the energy signal of a DTFT signal, with the range defined over the principal period of the signal. The proposed method is to use a substitution of u= 4- 2e^{j2\pi f}.
yukari1310
How to integrate $$\int_{-0.5}^{0.5} {\bigg({\frac{1}{4-2e^{-j2{\pi}f}}}\bigg)}^2 df$$

Physics news on Phys.org

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Hello again; must be you forgot how PF homework sections work: you are supposed to make an effort yourself.
In the mean time I do wonder where this comes from and what the problem statement really is: you now seem to be wanting to integrate a complex function over a section of the real axis ?

I did try it somewhere else using integration by parts but the function to be integrate just got more complicated as I go on.
I am suppose to find the energy signal of a DTFT [ie X(f)] signal. The range defined is over the principal period of the DTFT signal.

Isn't the energy a real number ?

Yeah? So can you give me some hints on how to integrate the complex function?

I would think a rather obvious substitution would be [itex]u= 4- 2e^{j2\pi f}[/itex]. Did you try that? What do you get?

1. What is integration in frequency domain?

Integration in frequency domain is a mathematical process that involves calculating the area under a curve in the frequency domain. It is used to analyze signals and systems in the frequency domain, which is a representation of the signal's amplitude and phase as a function of frequency.

2. How is integration in frequency domain different from integration in time domain?

The main difference between integration in frequency domain and integration in time domain is the variable being integrated. In time domain, the variable is time, while in frequency domain, the variable is frequency. This means that integration in frequency domain involves calculating the area under a curve in the frequency domain, while integration in time domain involves calculating the area under a curve in the time domain.

3. What are the benefits of using integration in frequency domain?

Integration in frequency domain allows for a more detailed analysis of signals and systems compared to integration in time domain. It can reveal important information about the frequency content of a signal and can help identify specific frequency components that may be present. It is also useful for filtering and noise reduction in signal processing applications.

4. What are some applications of integration in frequency domain?

Integration in frequency domain has various applications in fields such as signal processing, telecommunications, and control systems. It is commonly used for spectral analysis, filtering, and equalization of signals. It is also important in the design and analysis of electronic circuits and communication systems.

5. How is integration in frequency domain performed?

The process of integration in frequency domain involves converting a signal from the time domain to the frequency domain using a mathematical transformation, such as the Fourier transform. The transformed signal can then be integrated using standard integration techniques. After integration, the result can be converted back to the time domain if necessary.