Integration by Parts for ∫ xlnx/(x^2-1)^(1/2)dx

• Thread starter nameVoid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation is discussing the solution to the integral I(xlnx/(x^2-1)^(1/2),x) and goes on to integrate by parts and use substitution to simplify the solution to I(secTln(secT)secTtanTdT/tanT,T) to tanTln(secT)-tanT-T= (x^2-1)^(1/2)lnx-(x^2-1)^(1/2)+sec^-1x+C.
nameVoid

Homework Statement

I(xlnx/(x^2-1)^(1/2),x)
x=secT ; dx=secTtanTdT
I(secTln(secT)secTtanTdT/tanT,T)
I(sec^2Tln(secT),T)
u=ln(secT) du= secTtanTdT/secT = tanTdT
dv=sec^2Tdt v=tanT
tanTln(secT)- I(tan^2T,T)
tanTln(secT)-I(sec^2-1,T)
tanTln(secT)-tanT+T+C
T=sec^-1x
secT=x
tanT= (x^2-1)^(1/2)
tanTln(secT)-tanT-T= (x^2-1)^(1/2)lnx-(x^2-1)^(1/2)+sec^-1x+C

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi nameVoid! :smile:

(have an integral: ∫ and a square-root: √ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Yes, that looks correct, but you could have missed out a lot in the middle if you'd noticed that x/√(x2 - 1) is an exact integral, so you can integrate by parts immediately. :wink:

What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical concept that involves finding the area under a curve or the sum of infinitesimal parts to determine the total value of a function. It is used to solve problems related to area, volume, and accumulation.

What are the different methods of integration?

The most commonly used methods of integration are the definite and indefinite integrals, substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. Other methods include trigonometric substitution, integration using tables, and numerical integration.

What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, while an indefinite integral does not. In other words, a definite integral gives a single numerical value, while an indefinite integral gives a family of functions with the same derivative.

How do you determine which method of integration to use?

The choice of integration method depends on the complexity of the function and the techniques you are familiar with. It is often helpful to try different methods until one yields a solution. In some cases, it may also be necessary to use a combination of methods to solve a problem.

What are some real-world applications of integration?

Integration has numerous applications in science, engineering, and economics. Some examples include calculating the trajectory of a projectile, finding the center of mass of an object, determining the volume of a complex shape, and analyzing the growth of a population over time.