Integration of A exp( (− 3 R^2)/(2Na^2)) (whilst following forum rules; I think)

In summary: What is A (express in terms of N and a)?In summary, the problem is to find the normalisation constant A for the end-to-end vector distribution of a chain with N linkers of length a. A can be expressed in terms of N and a by finding the triple integral of e^(-3R^2)/(2Na^2) and solving for A.
Mic :)

Homework Statement

A exp( (− 3 R^2)/(2Na^2))
I wish to integrate ^
The expression is equal to P(N,R)
The limits are infinity to -infinity.
The intention is to find the normalisation constant / A in terms of N and a (then to cube it).

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I've managed.

A S e^(-3R^2) dR + S e^(0.5Na^2) dN

(S being integral)

Am I on the right tracks?
Should I separate e^0.5 and integrate with respect to N, or should I not integrate it?

Thank you everyone who's helped me along so far.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mic :) said:

Homework Statement

A exp( (− 3 R^2)/(2Na^2))
I wish to integrate ^
The expression is equal to P(N,R)
The limits are infinity to -infinity.
The intention is to find the normalisation constant / A in terms of N and a (then to cube it).

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I've managed.

A S e^(-3R^2) dR + S e^(0.5Na^2) dN
Is the following what you're trying to integrate?
$$A\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-3R^2}dR + \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{0.5Na^2}dN$$

Can you show how you got to this from the integral at the top of your post?
(S being integral)

Am I on the right tracks?
Should I separate e^0.5 and integrate with respect to N, or should I not integrate it?

Thank you everyone who's helped me along so far.[/B]

Mark44 said:
Is the following what you're trying to integrate?
$$A\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-3R^2}dR + \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{0.5Na^2}dN$$

Can you show how you got to this from the integral at the top of your post?
Almost. I stuffed up again.

A S e^(-3R^2) dR + S e^(1/(2Na^2)) dN

^is what I intended.

I separated A and e^(-3R^2) and e^(1/(2Na^2)) from each other.

Next, I intend to integrate e^(-3R^2) with respect to R; infinity to - infinity
and e^(1/(2Na^2)) with respect to N; presumably indefinitely.

I am unsure whether I should remove e^0.5 from e^(1/(2Na^2)) or integrate it all with dN.

I am also not completely sure about how much maths I may have just made up.
This may be an extra big stuff up.
Thanks for taking the time!

You are not using the rules for exponents correctly. e^(a + b) = e^a * e^b and e^(a - b) = (e^a)/(e^b), but what you're doing for e^(a/b) is incorrect.

Also, in the first post you say you want to integrate exp( (− 3 R^2)/(2Na^2)). With respect to what? What is the variable here - R? If so, are N and a constants as far as the integration goes? I'm confused as to what you're trying to do.

Mark44 said:
You are not using the rules for exponents correctly. e^(a + b) = e^a * e^b and e^(a - b) = (e^a)/(e^b), but what you're doing for e^(a/b) is incorrect.

Also, in the first post you say you want to integrate exp( (− 3 R^2)/(2Na^2)). With respect to what? What is the variable here - R? If so, are N and a constants as far as the integration goes? I'm confused as to what you're trying to do.
'Ideal chains form a random coil conformation in solution. The polymer's end-to-end length (see figure) is the distance between the chain ends: this can be used as a measure of the coil size. The end-to-end length has an average value, but there are fluctuations observed about that average value: how can we characterize these fluctuations? You will address this question in this problem (which believe it or not is closely analogous to the velocity distribution of an ideal gas!)

Consider a chain made up of N linkers of length a.
The end to end vector distribution R = (Rx,Ry,Rz), is given by

P(N,R)= exp( (− 3 R^2)/(2Na^2))

where R^2 = IRI^2 = Rx^2 + Ry^2 + Rz^2

What is A (express in terms of N and a)?'

xyz are subscripts

Does this make things more easily decipherable?

I guess N and a are constant as far as the integration goes.

I think what I'm trying to do is to find the normalisation constant for, say P(N,Rx),
then to cube that to find the normalisation constant for R.

I didn't want to post all of that but I hope it makes things clearer than I may have.

'Ideal chains form a random coil conformation in solution. The polymer's end-to-end length (see figure) is the distance between the chain ends: this can be used as a measure of the coil size. The end-to-end length has an average value, but there are fluctuations observed about that average value: how can we characterize these fluctuations? You will address this question in this problem (which believe it or not is closely analogous to the velocity distribution of an ideal gas!)

Consider a chain made up of N linkers of length a.
The end to end vector distribution R = (Rx,Ry,Rz), is given by

P(N,R)= exp( (− 3 R^2)/(2Na^2))

where R^2 = IRI^2 = Rx^2 + Ry^2 + Rz^2

What is A (express in terms of N and a)?'

xyz are subscripts

Does this make things more easily decipherable?

I guess N and a are constant as far as the integration goes.

I think what I'm trying to do is to find the normalisation constant for, say P(N,Rx),
then to cube that to find the normalisation constant for R.

I didn't want to post all of that but I hope it makes things clearer than I may have.

You should have posted all of that to begin with; it describes your problem and we don't need to guess anymore. So, to summarize: for constants ##A, a, N## (##a \neq 0, N > 0##), you want to find the triple integral
[tex] \int_{R^3} A e^{-\left(\frac{R^2}{2N a^2}\right)} dx dy dz,\\
\text{where } \; R^2 = x^2 + y^2 + z^2 [/tex]
Is that your problem?

So, what is the next thing you would do?

Ray Vickson said:
You should have posted all of that to begin with; it describes your problem and we don't need to guess anymore. So, to summarize: for constants ##A, a, N## (##a \neq 0, N > 0##), you want to find the triple integral
[tex] \int_{R^3} A e^{-\left(\frac{R^2}{2N a^2}\right)} dx dy dz,\\
\text{where } \; R^2 = x^2 + y^2 + z^2 [/tex]
Is that your problem?

So, what is the next thing you would do?

Sub in x2+y2+z2!

∫Ae^−((x2+y2+z2)/2Na^2)dxdydz,

A ∫ (e^-(x^2)/2Na^2))dx (e^-(y^2)/2Na^2))dy (e^-(z^2)/2Na^2))dz

Right?

Sub in x2+y2+z2!

∫Ae^−((x2+y2+z2)/2Na^2)dxdydz,

A ∫ (e^-(x^2)/2Na^2))dx (e^-(y^2)/2Na^2))dy (e^-(z^2)/2Na^2))dz

Right?

Keep going.

Ray Vickson said:
Keep going.
Ray Vickson said:
Keep going.

A(√π2Na^2)(√π2Na^2)(√π2Na^2)
A(√π2Na^2)^3

Still right?

A(√π2Na^2)(√π2Na^2)(√π2Na^2)
A(√π2Na^2)^3

Still right?

That depends on whether √π2Na^2 means ##\sqrt{\pi} 2Na^2##, ##\sqrt{2 \pi} N a^2## or ##\sqrt{2 \pi N a^2}##; I suspect you mean the latter. If so, you are right. If you use parentheses like this: sqrt(2 * pi * N a^2), it would be 100% clear. Alternatively, use LaTeX, as I did.

Ray Vickson said:
That depends on whether √π2Na^2 means ##\sqrt{\pi} 2Na^2##, ##\sqrt{2 \pi} N a^2## or ##\sqrt{2 \pi N a^2}##; I suspect you mean the latter. If so, you are right. If you use parentheses like this: sqrt(2 * pi * N a^2), it would be 100% clear. Alternatively, use LaTeX, as I did.

Hey! Thanks so much for helping!

I seem to have sorted it out.

However, am I correct in believing that we left out the 3 from A e^( (− 3 R^2)/(2Na^2)) somewhere along the way?

A= (1/(2PiNa^2))^3/2 if not

(3/(2PiNa^2))^3/2 if so.

Hey! Thanks so much for helping!

I seem to have sorted it out.

However, am I correct in believing that we left out the 3 from A e^( (− 3 R^2)/(2Na^2)) somewhere along the way?

Yes. I think so.

A= (1/(2PiNa^2))^3/2 if not

(3/(2PiNa^2))^3/2 if so.

Likes Mic :)

1) What does the equation A exp((−3R^2)/(2Na^2)) represent?

This equation represents the integration of a Gaussian function with the variable R, where A is the amplitude, N is the total number of particles, and a is the standard deviation.

2) What is the significance of the negative exponent in the equation?

The negative exponent in the equation indicates that the function is a decaying exponential, meaning it decreases as the value of R increases.

3) How does this integration relate to scientific research?

This integration is commonly used in scientific research to model the distribution of particles or molecules in a system, such as in statistical mechanics or quantum mechanics.

4) Can this equation be solved analytically?

Yes, this equation can be solved analytically using various integration techniques such as substitution or integration by parts.

5) Are there any real-life applications of this integration?

Yes, this integration can be applied in various fields such as chemistry, physics, and biology to study the behavior and interactions of particles in a system.