Integration of an inverse polynomial

In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of an expression with a positive value for a and variable values for b, c, and d. It is mentioned that the problem can be solved with numerical methods for specific values, but there is no finite formula for the general case due to the Abel-Ruffini theorem. There is also a clarification about the use of the variable "d" and the implied differential dx in the equation.
Ado
Member advised that the homework template must be used
Hello,

I want to integrate this expression :

∫ (x5 + ax4 + bx3 + cx2 + dx)-1

between xmin>0 and xmax>0

a is positive but b, c and d can be positive or negative.

I have no idea to integrate this expression... Do you have methods to do this ?

Thanks in advance !

Physics news on Phys.org
You have not written a valid integral. You must reformulate your problem.

Ado said:
Hello,

I want to integrate this expression :

∫ (x5 + ax4 + bx3 + cx2 + dx)-1

between xmin>0 and xmax>0

a is positive but b, c and d can be positive or negative.

I have no idea to integrate this expression... Do you have methods to do this ?

Thanks in advance !

You can solve the problem when you are given numerical values of ##a,b,c,d##, by finding the roots of the polynomial using numerical methods, and so write the integrand in partial fractions. However, for general symbolic values of ##a,b,c,d## you are out of luck, because it is a rigorously-proven theorem that there is NO finite formula for the roots of a general polynomial of degree 5 or more. See, eg., https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abel–Ruffini_theorem .

Sorry, I took dx to be the differential variable but I see now that you are using "d" as a constant, and that there must be an implied differential dx in your equation. Please ignore my post.

Never mind! ;)
Thanks for your replies!

1. What is an inverse polynomial?

An inverse polynomial is a polynomial in which the variables are in the denominator instead of the numerator. For example, 1/x or 2/(x^2+1) are both inverse polynomials.

2. Why is it important to integrate an inverse polynomial?

Integrating an inverse polynomial allows us to find the area under the curve of the function. This is useful in many applications, such as calculating work done in physics or finding the total revenue in economics.

3. What is the general method for integrating an inverse polynomial?

The general method for integrating an inverse polynomial is to first rewrite it in the form of a power series, then integrate each term using the power rule. The resulting series can then be simplified to give the final answer.

4. Are there any special cases when integrating an inverse polynomial?

Yes, there are a few special cases when integrating an inverse polynomial. These include when the polynomial has a constant term, when the polynomial has a linear term, and when the polynomial has a quadratic term.

5. Can an inverse polynomial always be integrated?

No, not all inverse polynomials can be integrated. Some may result in an infinite series or may require advanced techniques such as substitution or integration by parts.