1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration of (cosx/ (2-cosx))

1. Dec 29, 2006 #1

Mo

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    integrate with respect to x

2. Relevant equations

integral of cos x / (2 - cos x) dx

3. The attempt at a solution
    I attempted to use the substitution of tan (x/2) but got lost in it. I dont think it was correct to subsititute t = tan(x/2) because it was not in the correct form. [am i right in thinking to substitute in t=tan(x/2) we need an equation of the form 1 / (a + bsinx + ccosx) ?]

I also tried dividing top and bottom by cos x but I am unsure if this would lead me anywhere.

I'm hoping for a little pointer in how to start.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2006 #2

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

(i) The substitution of tan(x/2) is sometimes used when the integrand is a rational function of sin and cos. You might find this link useful.

(ii) In your problem, try eliminating the cos function from the numerator first. Here's a hint, try adding and subtracting '2' (to the negative of the integrand) in the numerator. Can you take it from here?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2006
  4. Dec 30, 2006 #3

Mo

Thank you very much indeed! I do not think I would have got that in a loooong time! Thanks for the link as well.

Regards,
    Mo.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?