Integration of Rational Functions with Trigonometric Substitutions

In summary, the procedure to integrate this type of fraction is to use partial fractions. A substitution can also be made using trigonometric identities, such as \sin(t)=x, to simplify the integral into one with a closed-form solution. There are also online resources available to learn more about this type of integration.
hms.tech
What is the procedure to integrate this kind of a fraction, i am guessing some trigonometric
identity will apply but i am not quite sure how

[1/(a-bx^2)] dx

can someone provide me a link which would help me learn about this kind of integration.

Any help is Appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
hms.tech said:
What is the procedure to integrate this kind of a fraction, i am guessing some trigonometric
identity will apply but i am not quite sure how

[1/(a-bx^2)] dx

can someone provide me a link which would help me learn about this kind of integration.

Any help is Appreciated

Google "partial fractions integration". In your case,
$$\frac{1}{a-bx^2}=\frac{1}{(\sqrt a-\sqrt bx)(\sqrt a+\sqrt bx)}$$
iff [itex]\,a,b\geq 0\,[/itex]

DonAntonio

The above works as long as a and b have the same sign - if both are negative, replace by minus absolute value. If they are of opposite sign, then you end up with something involving an arctan.

Can't you just pull out a [itex]{b}[/itex], giving [itex]\frac{1}{{b}(\frac{a}{{b}}-x^{2})}[/itex]

Then use a simple inverse sin formula?

You can, but that does not mean you have to. It depends on what solution is being asked from you, because for example you are asked to solve the problem with partial fractions and you try a sine substitution, you will have to break up your answer into two natural logarithms later on. For definite integrals though, this often is not a problem.

johnqwertyful said:
Can't you just pull out a [itex]{b}[/itex], giving [itex]\frac{1}{{b}(\frac{a}{{b}}-x^{2})}[/itex]

Then use a simple inverse sin formula?

Inverse sine formula? For that one needs [itex]\,(\sqrt{1-x^2})^{-1}\,[/itex] and we have no square roots here.

DonAntonio

DonAntonio, it is still applicable. Let [itex]\sin(t)=x[/itex]. Then we have that [itex]\displaystyle \int \frac{dt}{\cos(t)}=\int \sec(t)dt[/itex] which has a closed-form solution.

DonAntonio said:
Inverse sine formula? For that one needs [itex]\,(\sqrt{1-x^2})^{-1}\,[/itex] and we have no square roots here.

DonAntonio

Yeah, you need a square root for inverse sin, I knew that. :redface:
But still, just do a trig sub.

Millennial said:
DonAntonio, it is still applicable. Let [itex]\sin(t)=x[/itex]. Then we have that [itex]\displaystyle \int \frac{dt}{\cos(t)}=\int \sec(t)dt[/itex] which has a closed-form solution.

Yes...so? I was referring to other poster's idea of using something about the inverse sine, or [itex]\,\arcsin\,[/itex] , which I

can't see how it can appear here more or less "naturally". Of course, one can alwasy make up substitutions as to make

almost any function pop up, but this is not what I meant.

DonAntonio

What is the definition of integration of fractions?

Integration of fractions is the process of finding the antiderivative of a fraction. It involves finding the original function whose derivative is the given fraction.

What is the purpose of integrating fractions?

The purpose of integrating fractions is to solve problems involving rates of change, such as finding the total distance traveled given a velocity function, or finding the total amount of water in a tank given a rate of change function.

What are the steps for integrating a fraction?

The steps for integrating a fraction are as follows: 1) Rewrite the fraction as a sum or difference of simpler fractions, if necessary. 2) Use the power rule for integration to find the antiderivative of each term. 3) Add a constant of integration to the final result.

What are some common techniques for integrating fractions?

Some common techniques for integrating fractions include u-substitution, integration by parts, and partial fraction decomposition. These techniques are useful for simplifying the fraction and making it easier to integrate.

What are some real-life applications of integrating fractions?

Integrating fractions is essential in many fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, and economics. It is used to solve problems involving rates of change, such as calculating the speed of a moving object or determining the growth rate of a population.