1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration Problem

1. Dec 12, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

f:=sin^3(x)cos(y)
    Integrate f, from x=y....pi/2)

2. Relevant equations

I can do it if the two letters were y... But i have no idea how to solve when they are combined..

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That is:
    [tex]\int_y^{\pi/2} sin^3(x)cos^3(y) dx[/tex]
    Find the anti-derivative (there's a standard method for odd powers of sin or cos) and evaluate between [itex]\pi/2[/itex] and y. Of course, the answer will not be number but will depend on y.

4. Dec 12, 2007 #3

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Integrate f with respect to what? Is this a double integration, or a single integration? Please state the question exactly as it is given.

5. Dec 12, 2007 #4
    f:=sin^3(x)*cos(y);

Integrate f with respect to x.... from y to Pi/2

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  6. Dec 13, 2007 #5
    In all fairness to jra_1574, I wouldn't say that the question was ambiguous at all. The variable of integration may not have been explicitly stated but the way it was written

"from x=y...Pi/2"

seemed fairly obvious to me, and is in fact the way that some CAS's denote a definite integral (the primary example in mind would be Maple).

As for the actual question jra_1574, the integration doesn't depend on y, and so it's a constant and by linearity can be pulled out of the integral.

7. Dec 13, 2007 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Agree with everything you say except for the last line! y is the lower limit of integration and cannot be "pulled out of the integral".

8. Dec 13, 2007 #7

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What if instead it was written as f=sin(x)^3cos(0) and was integrated from 0 to pi/2. Couldn't the cos(0) be pulled out of the integral? I'm not sure how this is supposed to be any different

9. Dec 13, 2007 #8

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That may be true, but the fact that he said "I don't know what to do when there are two letters" implied that it could be a double integration. Besides, one should always state explicitly what one is doing.
    What you mean is that y is a constant when integrating wrt x, and so cos(y) can be treated as a constant.

10. Dec 13, 2007 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since cos(y) is a constant (with respect to x) it can be "pulled out of the integral". That is different from saying y (which is also the lower limit of integration) can be "pulled out of the integral".

[tex]\int_y^{\pi/2} sin^3(x)cos(y)dx= cos(y)\int_y^{\pi/2} sin^3(x) dx[/tex]

11. Dec 13, 2007 #10

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I assumed that was what Kreizhn meant. Never mind then

12. Dec 13, 2007 #11
    Yeah, sorry, meant the cos(y). It was late and I figured it was pretty obvious what I meant

Edit: Hurrah for semantical trivialities. I know that I should've stated that better but come on HallsOfIvy, I would've imagined that you knew precisely what I was talking about and was nit-picking

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  13. Dec 13, 2007 #12

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Actually, I was taken aback by it because I had focused on the "y" as a limit of the integral rather than the "cos(y)" while you were doing the opposite!

Also I agree that that looks like "half" of a double integral!

14. Dec 13, 2007 #13
    How would i type that in maple?

f:=sin(x)^3*cos(y)?
    or f:=sin^3(x)*cos(y)?

anyways i pulled the cos(y) out of the integral, then change sin^3(x) to sin(x)*(1-cos^2(x))... i think that led me to
    sin(x)-cos^2(x)*sin(x)

so integrate sin(x)= cos(x) minus
    integration of cos^2(x)*sin(x) = i am not sure but is this g and g'? or i have to choose one to be u and do the du/dx?

15. Dec 14, 2007 #14
    Don't forget that there's a [itex] \frac{1}{2} [/itex] in there as well.

[tex] sin^2(x) = \displaystyle\frac{1}{2} \left( 1-cos(2x) \right) [/tex]

then let [itex] u = cos(x) [/itex] so that [itex] du = - sin(x) dx[/itex] and proceed from there.

In maple, you could write either

f:=sin(x)^3*cos(y);

or if you actually wanted to be able to evaluate f and certain points

f:=(x,y) -> sin(x)^3*cos(y);

16. Dec 14, 2007 #15
    OK thanks so much for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?