Integration Question: Solutions & Tips

• Thread starter KingBigness
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, The conversation discusses the integral of 1/x and its relationship to infinity. It is mentioned that the integral from a to b would result in ln|b|-ln|a|, and as a goes to 0, the result would be infinity. However, this notation is not entirely accurate and the conversation acknowledges this. The conversation also mentions a paper on zero and infinity and discusses the idea that the area between the curve and the y-axis, while getting smaller and smaller, never truly ends. This is also compared to the integral of 1/x^2, which does have a value as long as the lower limit is not at 0.
KingBigness
Deleted

Physics news on Phys.org
The integral of 1/x with respect to x is ln|x| + C, so if you took the integral from a to b, you would get
ln|b|-ln|a|
and as a goes to 0, this would be infinity.

(Note that you shouldn't say you integrate 1/x from 0 to x. You can't have the limit be the variable you are integrating. If you think about what that would mean, you will see that the integral 0f f(x) from 0 to x is impossible to make sense of, since x would vary from 0 to x, whatever that means)

Yer I did abuse the notation a little, sorry for that.

And sorry for the question as soon as I posted it I realized how stupid it was, hence the delete.

I was just reading a paper on zero and infinity and it got me thinking...the paper didn't really like infinity.

What I was questioning is, because the curve never reaches the y-axis (x=0), except for at infinity, then the little area between the curve and the y axis, whilst getting smaller and smaller never quite ends.

KingBigness said:
What I was questioning is, because the curve never reaches the y-axis (x=0), except for at infinity, then the little area between the curve and the y axis, whilst getting smaller and smaller never quite ends.

The same could be said for 1/x2, but the definite integral does have a value (assuming the lower limit isn't at 0).

Related to Integration Question: Solutions & Tips

1. What is integration in science?

Integration in science refers to the process of combining different pieces of information or ideas to create a larger, more comprehensive understanding of a topic or concept. It involves synthesizing various sources of data or theories to form a cohesive whole.

2. Why is integration important in scientific research?

Integration is important in scientific research because it allows scientists to gain a more complete understanding of a topic or concept. By combining multiple perspectives and sources of data, researchers can develop more accurate and robust conclusions.

3. What are some strategies for integrating information in science?

Some strategies for integrating information in science include comparing and contrasting different sources, identifying patterns and connections between data, and using interdisciplinary approaches that draw from multiple fields of study.

4. How can integration improve the quality of scientific research?

Integration can improve the quality of scientific research by promoting more thorough and comprehensive analyses, reducing bias, and generating new insights and discoveries. It can also lead to more effective communication and collaboration among scientists.

5. Can integration be applied to all fields of science?

Yes, integration can be applied to all fields of science. While the specific methods and approaches may vary, the overall goal of integrating information to gain a deeper understanding is relevant to all scientific disciplines.