Integrating Acceleration to Find Velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Runge-Kutta method to find the velocity from the given acceleration equation. It is suggested to add dx(t)/dt=v(t) to the list of equations and solve the first order system of equations using Runge-Kutta. However, there is a difficulty in integrating the equation wrt time due to the use of only one variable.
Anti-Meson

Homework Statement

I intend to use the Runge-Kutta method but to do so I need to be able to find the velocity [tex]\frac{dx(t)}{dt}[/tex] from the acceleration and I need some pointers on how to get that from the equation below. In other words I am having difficulty integrating the equation wrt time.

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{d^{2}x(t)}{dt^{2}} = \frac{k}{x(t)^{2}}[/tex]

where k is a constant.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank-you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you can express the velocity in any easy form. Isn't the usual trick to add dx(t)/dt=v(t) to your list of equations and make the first equation dv(t)/dt=k/x(t)^2 and solve that first order system of equations with Runge-Kutta?

dont you need x(t)²??

Dick said:
I don't think you can express the velocity in any easy form. Isn't the usual trick to add dx(t)/dt=v(t) to your list of equations and make the first equation dv(t)/dt=k/x(t)^2 and solve that first order system of equations with Runge-Kutta?

The problem is Runge-Kutta method uses two variables, in my case x and t, though at the moment I only have 1 variable x as expressed in the equation of acceleration.

FAQ: Integrating Acceleration to Find Velocity

1. What is integration to find velocity?

Integration to find velocity is a mathematical process used to determine the velocity of an object at any given point in time. It involves calculating the area under a curve on a position-time graph, where the curve represents the object's position over time.

2. Why is integration used to find velocity?

Integration is used to find velocity because it allows us to analyze the motion of an object over time and determine its velocity at any point. It takes into account changes in position and time, which are necessary for accurately calculating velocity.

3. How is integration used to find velocity?

To use integration to find velocity, you first need a position-time graph of the object's motion. Then, you can use the fundamental theorem of calculus to calculate the area under the curve, which represents the object's displacement over a specific time interval. Dividing the displacement by the time interval will give you the average velocity for that time interval. You can repeat this process for smaller time intervals to get a more accurate velocity at a specific point in time.

4. What are the units for velocity when using integration?

The units for velocity when using integration are meters per second (m/s). This is because velocity is a measure of an object's displacement over time, and displacement is measured in meters (m) and time is measured in seconds (s).

5. Can integration be used to find other quantities besides velocity?

Yes, integration can be used to find other quantities besides velocity. It can be used to find acceleration, which is the rate of change of velocity over time. It can also be used to find other physical quantities such as force, work, and energy, as long as there is a known relationship between the quantity and the object's position or velocity over time.