Why does the first iterated integral exist but the second one does not?

In summary, the Dirichlet function, which is defined as d(y) = 1 if y is a rational number and d(y) = 0 if y is an irrational number, is not Riemann integrable. This means that for a fixed value of x=0, the function f(x,y) = d(y) is not integrable with respect to y. However, the iterated integral ∫ f(x,y) dy = F(x) does exist for all values of x except for x=0. This is because the Dirichlet function is continuous at all except for finitely many points, and according to the theorem, this makes it integrable on the interval [a,b]. Therefore, the
kingwinner
1) Let f(x,y)=1 for x=0, y E Q
f(x,y)=0 otherwise
on R=[0,1] x [0,1]

Then
1 1
∫ ∫ f(x,y) dxdy = 0 exists
0 0
but
1 1
∫ ∫ f(x,y) dydx does not exist
0 0

I don't understand why the first iterated integral exists, but the second interated integral does not exist, can someone please explain (perhaps in terms of the concept of zero content) ?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The dirichlet function d(y) = 1 y in Q, d(y) = 0 y not in Q is not Riemann integrable.
So for fixed x = 0, f(x,y) = d(y) is not integrable with respect to y.

But [tex]\int_0^1 f(x,y) dx = 0[/tex], (regardless if f(0,y) = 1 or 0) so you can integrate the first expression.

I haven't learned about the dirichlet function, so I don't quite get your points. Are there any other ways of explaining? Anyone want to give it another try?

Thanks!

Please do not cross post.

∫ f(x,y) dy = F(x) exists for x not =0

∫ f(0,y) dy = F(0) does not exist

Theorem: If f is bounded on [a,b] and continuous at all except finitely many points in [a,b], then f is (Riemann) integrable on [a,b].

In our case, x=0 is just a single point (finitely many points!)
So actually
1 1
∫ ∫ f(x,y) dydx
0 0
=∫ F(x) dx exists as well and equal zero, am I right?

If so, then my claim in the first post that
1 1
∫ ∫ f(x,y) dydx does not exist must be wrong
0 0

I am not too sure about this, could someone please give an affirmative answer?

FAQ: Why does the first iterated integral exist but the second one does not?

1. What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical concept that involves finding the area under a curve on a graph. It can also refer to the process of combining separate elements into a whole.

2. How is integration calculated?

Integration is calculated using a variety of methods, such as the Riemann sum, the trapezoidal rule, or the definite integral. These methods involve breaking the area under the curve into smaller, easily calculable sections and then adding them together.

3. What is zero content?

Zero content refers to the concept of an integral having a value of zero. This can happen when the function being integrated is symmetric around the x-axis, or when the area above the x-axis is equal to the area below the x-axis.

4. Can integration be used in real-world applications?

Yes, integration has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. It can be used to calculate volumes, areas, and averages, among other things.

5. What are some common mistakes when dealing with integration?

Some common mistakes when dealing with integration include forgetting to add the constant of integration, mixing up the limits of integration, and making errors in the integration process itself. It is important to double-check work and use proper notation to avoid these mistakes.

Back