Integrator Circuit Transfer Function (voltage divide)

In summary, the circuit has a resistor attached to the op amp's (+) input which is not part of the series connection to the resistor on the op amp's op-amp. This extra resistor reduces the current going through the circuit, which affects the resulting integrator function.
qwertyuiop23
I have attached a picture of the circuit in which I am attempting to build a transfer function for, however, as you can see it is not a normal integrator. Normally it is evident which resistor is the resistor that is part of the series connection to the op amp.

When I do the KVL on the circuit to get the values I get the following function

[itex]

v_{in} = C\frac{dv_{o}}{dt} + 2.5\times R_1 (\frac{1}{R1} + \frac{1}{R_2})[/itex]

assuming that I voltage divide to [itex] 2.5V [/itex] using values for [itex] R_1 = 5k\Omega R_2 = 910\Omega [/itex] and the input is 16.3V.

[itex]
v_{in} = C\frac{dv_{o}}{dt} + 16.23[/itex]

From here I do not know how to get the transfer function. I am correct in assuming that the transfer function is no longer a linear line on the Bode plot due to that extra resistor that goes from the input to ground (thus reducing the current).

Or am I way off base with my assumptions.

Thank-you for your help
Lance

PS: I am an undergrad electrical engineer so the explanation does not have to be overly simplified.

Attachments

• Integrator.png
    Integrator.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 540
Engineering news on Phys.org
You could solve the DE, then for sinusoids let vin = A.sinѠt

Or you could start again, and let vcap = iC/(jѠc)
where iC is the capacitor current

That does make it more difficult to determine system dynamic parameters, ie rise time settling time and the such?

Your first post only mentioned Bode plot. If you are going to use Laplace, then let Vcap(s) = Icap(s)/(s.C)

Yes however, normally I use the Laplace form of the equation to make the transfer function to then recreate the Bode Plot.

The problem is that the Laplace transform is

[itex]

sV_i = A s^2 V_o + B [/itex]

As you can see the Constant B makes creating the transfer function very difficult!

What's that DC offset on op-amp's (+) input in aid ofhttp://physicsforums.bernhardtmediall.netdna-cdn.com/images/icons/icon5.gif You won't get anywhere while that's there, it will just send your op-amp output directly to the + rail! If that offset is to remain, then you'll need to exactly compensate for it by feeding DC into the (-) input, then superimpose your AC (for the Bode plot) on top of that DC. Capacitor coupling will achieve this.

Is this a circuit you invented as an exercise? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an integrator circuit and how does it work?

An integrator circuit is a type of electronic circuit that performs the mathematical operation of integration. It uses an operational amplifier and a capacitor to convert an input voltage into an output voltage that is proportional to the integral of the input voltage over time. This is achieved by charging or discharging the capacitor based on the input voltage, resulting in a continuous output signal.

2. What is the transfer function of an integrator circuit?

The transfer function of an integrator circuit is the mathematical relationship between the input and output signals. In an ideal integrator circuit, the transfer function is a simple inverse relationship, with the output voltage being equal to the input voltage divided by the value of the capacitor. This can be expressed as Vout = Vin/C.

3. How is the voltage divide method used in an integrator circuit?

The voltage divide method is used in an integrator circuit to determine the value of the feedback resistor. This resistor, along with the capacitor, determines the time constant of the circuit and therefore affects the frequency response. By using the voltage divide method, the feedback resistor can be calculated to achieve a desired time constant for the circuit.

4. What is the importance of the time constant in an integrator circuit?

The time constant, represented by the symbol τ (tau), is a measure of how quickly the output voltage of an integrator circuit responds to changes in the input voltage. A longer time constant means a slower response, while a shorter time constant means a faster response. The time constant is important because it determines the frequency response of the circuit and can be adjusted to suit different applications.

5. What are some common applications of integrator circuits?

Integrator circuits have a variety of applications in electronics, including signal processing, filtering, and waveform generation. Some specific examples include audio oscillators, frequency modulators, and wave shaping circuits. They are also commonly used in control systems and analog computers.