Rock Concert vs Whisper: Intensity Factor of 22026.4

In summary, the intensity of sound at a rock concert is 100 times louder than that of a whisper, with intensity levels of 120 dB and 20 dB respectively. This can be determined by finding the ratio of intensities using the equation 10 = log_{10}(\frac{I_A}{I_B}).
roam

Homework Statement

By what factor is the intensity of sound at a rock concert louder than that of a whisper when the two intensity levels are 120 dB and 20 dB respectively?

Homework Equations

The sound level of a sound wave in decibles is

[tex]\beta = 10 log (\frac{I}{I_0})[/tex]

Also the ratio of intensities:

[tex]\beta_B - \beta_A = 10 log (\frac{I_B}{I_A})[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the latter equation:

[tex]100 = 10 log (\frac{I_B}{I_A})[/tex]

Solving for the ratio I get 22026.4. Now how can I determine the factor one intensity is greater than the other? I'm not quite sure... :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
roam said:

Homework Statement

[tex]\beta_B - \beta_A = 10 log (\frac{I_B}{I_A})[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the latter equation:

[tex]100 = 10 log (\frac{I_B}{I_A})[/tex]

Solving for the ratio I get 22026.4. Now how can I determine the factor one intensity is greater than the other? I'm not quite sure... :confused:

The equation should be

[tex]100 = 10log_{10}(\frac{I_A}{I_B})[/tex]

Or [tex]10 = log_{10}(\frac{I_A}{I_B})[/tex]

Now find the ratio of the intensities.

Last edited:

Related to Rock Concert vs Whisper: Intensity Factor of 22026.4

What is the significance of the intensity factor 22026.4?

The intensity factor of 22026.4 is a measure of the amount of energy produced by a sound source. It is typically used to compare the loudness of different sounds and is measured in decibels (dB).

What is a rock concert?

A rock concert is a live music performance featuring a band or musician playing rock music. These concerts often have high energy and loud music, with a large audience in attendance.

What is a whisper?

A whisper is a soft, quiet way of speaking that is intended for only one or a few people to hear. It is produced by using the vocal cords to create a small amount of air flow and a gentle vibration of the vocal folds.

How does the intensity of a rock concert compare to a whisper?

The intensity of a rock concert is significantly higher than that of a whisper. The average intensity of a whisper is about 30 dB, while a rock concert can have an intensity of over 100 dB. This means that a rock concert is much louder and produces more energy than a whisper.

Why is it important to study the intensity factor of different sounds?

Studying the intensity factor of different sounds allows us to better understand how sound affects our environment and our bodies. It also helps us to understand how to protect our hearing from loud sounds, as exposure to high intensity sounds can cause hearing damage. Additionally, studying intensity factors can provide insight into the production and amplification of sound in various settings, such as concerts or public spaces.