Interesting Derivative Proof Question

Homework Statement

I recently searched around SE, and found:

http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/1142546/how-to-solve-this-derivative-of-f-proof

Homework Equations

Below

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is interesting.

"A function given that $$f(x)=f''(x)+f'(x)g(x)$$ could be an exponential function, sine, cosine , quadratic polynomial or $$f\equiv0$$. So we can say that the function is a continuous function $\in C^2$.

The right negation is that $$f(x)\ge0 , \in (a, b)$$ and exist a point c | $$f(c)>0$$.

You have that $$f''(x_1)\ge0$$ (the function in that point is convex) so in that point you have a minima so there are two case

1. $$f(x_1)<0$$ (obviously contradiction)
2. $$f(x_1)=0$$ (it's impossible because this imply that f(x) = 0)

Analog for the other case"

But how does $$f''(x_1) > 0$$ show that $$f(x_1) < 0$$? I dont understand the contradiction for #1??

Thanks!

Answers and Replies

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
The proof is saying that if f is not identically 0, then it must attain its maximum (or minimum) at x_1 in (a, b). And f''(x_1) = f(x_1) . But, using the second derivative test, if f(x_1) > 0, then we have a local minimum and if f(x_1) < 0, we have a local maximum. Contradiction.

epenguin
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Finding this strange. This should generate an infinite number of zeroes in the interval?

The proof is saying that if f is not identically 0, then it must attain its maximum (or minimum) at x_1 in (a, b). And f''(x_1) = f(x_1) . But, using the second derivative test, if f(x_1) > 0, then we have a local minimum and if f(x_1) < 0, we have a local maximum. Contradiction.
But how is that a contradiction and to what?

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
But how is that a contradiction and to what?
It's basic calculus. If f(x_1) > 0, how can that be a local minimum?

It's basic calculus. If f(x_1) > 0, how can that be a local minimum?

$$f(x) = x^2 + 1$$?

It has a minimum f(x_1) > 0?

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
$$f(x) = x^2 + 1$$?

It has a minimum f(x_1) > 0?
We're not talking here about an arbitrary function. We're talking about one that meets the key criteria stated in the problem. The first of these is that f(x) = 0 at two distinct points. The second criterion is that f(x) = f''(x) whenever f'(x) = 0.

If such an f has a minimum it must be < 0. And f'' must be < 0 at that point. But, f'' < 0 implies it's a local maximum. That's the contradiction.

We're not talking here about an arbitrary function. We're talking about one that meets the key criteria stated in the problem. The first of these is that f(x) = 0 at two distinct points. The second criterion is that f(x) = f''(x) whenever f'(x) = 0.

If such an f has a minimum it must be < 0. And f'' must be < 0 at that point. But, f'' < 0 implies it's a local maximum. That's the contradiction.
Ok, this is starting to make sense.

The only part I do not understand is.

"If such an f has a minimum it must be < 0"

Why does this have to be true? Thanks!

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
Ok, this is starting to make sense.

The only part I do not understand is.

"If such an f has a minimum it must be < 0"

Why does this have to be true? Thanks!
To be more precise, the proof was:

If f(x) < 0 for some x in (a, b), then f attains its absolute minimum on (a, b).

And, if f(x) > 0 for some x in (a, b), then f attains its absolute maximum on (a, b).

To be more precise, the proof was:

If f(x) < 0 for some x in (a, b), then f attains its absolute minimum on (a, b).

And, if f(x) > 0 for some x in (a, b), then f attains its absolute maximum on (a, b).

???

But I am not asking what the question asked? I was asking,

How if f(x) < 0 it is a contradiction to have f"(x) > 0 ??

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
???

But I am not asking what the question asked? I was asking,

How if f(x) < 0 it is a contradiction to have f"(x) > 0 ??
It isn't! Lots of functions have that property. But NOT the one in the question which meets certain criteria.

Do you not understand that a proof may apply to a function with certain properties, but not to all functions?

It isn't! Lots of functions have that property. But NOT the one in the question which meets certain criteria.

Do you not understand that a proof may apply to a function with certain properties, but not to all functions?

I do understand it.

But can you show that for our function it is a contradiction that,

if f(x) < 0 tthen the contradiction is to have f''(x) > 0??

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
I do understand it.

But can you show that for our function it is a contradiction that,

if f(x) < 0 tthen the contradiction is to have f''(x) > 0??
That's not correct either. We have f(x) < 0, f'(x) = 0 and f''(x) = f(x) < 0.

Yes but how will it be a contradiction?
hat's not correct either. We have f(x) < 0, f'(x) = 0 and f''(x) = f(x) < 0.

epenguin
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Is the misunderstanding here that Amad is trying to prove a statement true by contradiction, while PeroK has proved it false by contradiction?
Perhaps the problem has been wrongly copied or misunderstood, for which there are other indications.

Also I saw earlier without even looking at the posts that if a function is such that between any two zeroes it has another zero, then it will have an infinite number of zeroes. Which is not impossible, but it would be a funny function to have an excercise on at this level.