Interesting Derivative Proof Question

In summary, the conversation revolves around a proof for a function given that f(x)=f''(x)+f'(x)g(x). The proof states that the function must be either an exponential, sine, cosine, quadratic polynomial, or f≡0. It also mentions that the function is a continuous function in C^2 and that there exists a point c where f(c)>0. The contradiction arises when f(x_1) > 0 and f''(x_1) > 0, showing that there is a local maximum, which is not possible for the given function. The conversation also discusses other misunderstandings and clarifications regarding the proof.
Amad27

Homework Statement

I recently searched around SE, and found:
http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/1142546/how-to-solve-this-derivative-of-f-proof

Homework Equations

Below

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is interesting.

"A function given that $$f(x)=f''(x)+f'(x)g(x)$$ could be an exponential function, sine, cosine , quadratic polynomial or $$f\equiv0$$. So we can say that the function is a continuous function $\in C^2$.

The right negation is that $$f(x)\ge0 , \in (a, b)$$ and exist a point c | $$f(c)>0$$.You have that $$f''(x_1)\ge0$$ (the function in that point is convex) so in that point you have a minima so there are two case

1. $$f(x_1)<0$$ (obviously contradiction)
2. $$f(x_1)=0$$ (it's impossible because this imply that f(x) = 0)

Analog for the other case"

But how does $$f''(x_1) > 0$$ show that $$f(x_1) < 0$$? I don't understand the contradiction for #1??

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The proof is saying that if f is not identically 0, then it must attain its maximum (or minimum) at x_1 in (a, b). And f''(x_1) = f(x_1) . But, using the second derivative test, if f(x_1) > 0, then we have a local minimum and if f(x_1) < 0, we have a local maximum. Contradiction.

Finding this strange. This should generate an infinite number of zeroes in the interval?

PeroK said:
The proof is saying that if f is not identically 0, then it must attain its maximum (or minimum) at x_1 in (a, b). And f''(x_1) = f(x_1) . But, using the second derivative test, if f(x_1) > 0, then we have a local minimum and if f(x_1) < 0, we have a local maximum. Contradiction.

But how is that a contradiction and to what?

Amad27 said:
But how is that a contradiction and to what?
It's basic calculus. If f(x_1) > 0, how can that be a local minimum?

PeroK said:
It's basic calculus. If f(x_1) > 0, how can that be a local minimum?
$$f(x) = x^2 + 1$$?

It has a minimum f(x_1) > 0?

Amad27 said:
$$f(x) = x^2 + 1$$?

It has a minimum f(x_1) > 0?

We're not talking here about an arbitrary function. We're talking about one that meets the key criteria stated in the problem. The first of these is that f(x) = 0 at two distinct points. The second criterion is that f(x) = f''(x) whenever f'(x) = 0.

If such an f has a minimum it must be < 0. And f'' must be < 0 at that point. But, f'' < 0 implies it's a local maximum. That's the contradiction.

PeroK said:
We're not talking here about an arbitrary function. We're talking about one that meets the key criteria stated in the problem. The first of these is that f(x) = 0 at two distinct points. The second criterion is that f(x) = f''(x) whenever f'(x) = 0.

If such an f has a minimum it must be < 0. And f'' must be < 0 at that point. But, f'' < 0 implies it's a local maximum. That's the contradiction.

Ok, this is starting to make sense. The only part I do not understand is.

"If such an f has a minimum it must be < 0"

Why does this have to be true? Thanks!

Amad27 said:
Ok, this is starting to make sense.The only part I do not understand is.

"If such an f has a minimum it must be < 0"

Why does this have to be true? Thanks!

To be more precise, the proof was:

If f(x) < 0 for some x in (a, b), then f attains its absolute minimum on (a, b).

And, if f(x) > 0 for some x in (a, b), then f attains its absolute maximum on (a, b).

PeroK said:
To be more precise, the proof was:

If f(x) < 0 for some x in (a, b), then f attains its absolute minimum on (a, b).

And, if f(x) > 0 for some x in (a, b), then f attains its absolute maximum on (a, b).
?

But I am not asking what the question asked? I was asking,

How if f(x) < 0 it is a contradiction to have f"(x) > 0 ??

Amad27 said:
?

But I am not asking what the question asked? I was asking,

How if f(x) < 0 it is a contradiction to have f"(x) > 0 ??

It isn't! Lots of functions have that property. But NOT the one in the question which meets certain criteria.

Do you not understand that a proof may apply to a function with certain properties, but not to all functions?

PeroK said:
It isn't! Lots of functions have that property. But NOT the one in the question which meets certain criteria.

Do you not understand that a proof may apply to a function with certain properties, but not to all functions?
I do understand it.

But can you show that for our function it is a contradiction that,

if f(x) < 0 tthen the contradiction is to have f''(x) > 0??

Amad27 said:
I do understand it.

But can you show that for our function it is a contradiction that,

if f(x) < 0 tthen the contradiction is to have f''(x) > 0??

That's not correct either. We have f(x) < 0, f'(x) = 0 and f''(x) = f(x) < 0.

Yes but how will it be a contradiction?
PeroK said:
hat's not correct either. We have f(x) < 0, f'(x) = 0 and f''(x) = f(x) < 0.

Is the misunderstanding here that Amad is trying to prove a statement true by contradiction, while PeroK has proved it false by contradiction?
Perhaps the problem has been wrongly copied or misunderstood, for which there are other indications.

Also I saw earlier without even looking at the posts that if a function is such that between any two zeroes it has another zero, then it will have an infinite number of zeroes. Which is not impossible, but it would be a funny function to have an excercise on at this level.

Related to Interesting Derivative Proof Question

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable. In simpler terms, it measures how much a function is changing at a specific point.

2. Why is the derivative important?

The derivative has many important applications in mathematics and science. It is used to calculate slopes of curves, find maximum and minimum points, and solve optimization problems. It also plays a crucial role in calculus and physics.

3. What is the chain rule in derivative proofs?

The chain rule is a method used to find the derivative of a composite function, which is a function that is made up of two or more functions. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

4. How do you prove a derivative using the limit definition?

To prove a derivative using the limit definition, you must first write out the limit definition of the derivative, which involves taking the limit as the change in the independent variable approaches zero. Then, you simplify the expression and use algebraic manipulation to show that it equals the function's derivative.

5. Are there any shortcuts to finding derivatives?

Yes, there are shortcut rules such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule that can be used to find derivatives of different types of functions. However, these rules only work for specific types of functions and the limit definition must still be used for more complex functions.