1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interesting Derivative Proof Question

1. Feb 11, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I recently searched around SE, and found:

http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/1142546/how-to-solve-this-derivative-of-f-proof

2. Relevant equations

Below

3. The attempt at a solution

The answer is interesting.

"A function given that $$f(x)=f''(x)+f'(x)g(x)$$ could be an exponential function, sine, cosine , quadratic polynomial or $$f\equiv0$$. So we can say that the function is a continuous function $\in C^2$.

The right negation is that $$f(x)\ge0 , \in (a, b)$$ and exist a point c | $$f(c)>0$$.

You have that $$f''(x_1)\ge0$$ (the function in that point is convex) so in that point you have a minima so there are two case

1. $$f(x_1)<0$$ (obviously contradiction)
    2. $$f(x_1)=0$$ (it's impossible because this imply that f(x) = 0)

Analog for the other case"

But how does $$f''(x_1) > 0$$ show that $$f(x_1) < 0$$? I dont understand the contradiction for #1??

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2015 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The proof is saying that if f is not identically 0, then it must attain its maximum (or minimum) at x_1 in (a, b). And f''(x_1) = f(x_1) . But, using the second derivative test, if f(x_1) > 0, then we have a local minimum and if f(x_1) < 0, we have a local maximum. Contradiction.

4. Feb 11, 2015 #3

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Finding this strange. This should generate an infinite number of zeroes in the interval?

5. Feb 12, 2015 #4
    But how is that a contradiction and to what?

6. Feb 12, 2015 #5

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's basic calculus. If f(x_1) > 0, how can that be a local minimum?

7. Feb 12, 2015 #6

$$f(x) = x^2 + 1$$?

It has a minimum f(x_1) > 0?

8. Feb 12, 2015 #7

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

We're not talking here about an arbitrary function. We're talking about one that meets the key criteria stated in the problem. The first of these is that f(x) = 0 at two distinct points. The second criterion is that f(x) = f''(x) whenever f'(x) = 0.

If such an f has a minimum it must be < 0. And f'' must be < 0 at that point. But, f'' < 0 implies it's a local maximum. That's the contradiction.

9. Feb 12, 2015 #8
    Ok, this is starting to make sense.

The only part I do not understand is.

"If such an f has a minimum it must be < 0"

Why does this have to be true? Thanks!

10. Feb 12, 2015 #9

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

To be more precise, the proof was:

If f(x) < 0 for some x in (a, b), then f attains its absolute minimum on (a, b).

And, if f(x) > 0 for some x in (a, b), then f attains its absolute maximum on (a, b).

11. Feb 12, 2015 #10

???

But I am not asking what the question asked? I was asking,

How if f(x) < 0 it is a contradiction to have f"(x) > 0 ??

12. Feb 12, 2015 #11

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It isn't! Lots of functions have that property. But NOT the one in the question which meets certain criteria.

Do you not understand that a proof may apply to a function with certain properties, but not to all functions?

13. Feb 12, 2015 #12

I do understand it.

But can you show that for our function it is a contradiction that,

if f(x) < 0 tthen the contradiction is to have f''(x) > 0??

14. Feb 12, 2015 #13

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's not correct either. We have f(x) < 0, f'(x) = 0 and f''(x) = f(x) < 0.

15. Feb 12, 2015 #14
    Yes but how will it be a contradiction?

16. Feb 13, 2015 #15

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is the misunderstanding here that Amad is trying to prove a statement true by contradiction, while PeroK has proved it false by contradiction?
    Perhaps the problem has been wrongly copied or misunderstood, for which there are other indications.

Also I saw earlier without even looking at the posts that if a function is such that between any two zeroes it has another zero, then it will have an infinite number of zeroes. Which is not impossible, but it would be a funny function to have an excercise on at this level.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted