Where Can I Find Unique and Challenging Problems for My Freshman E&M Seminar?

In summary, some freshman at MIT are looking for challenging problems to work on in their E&M seminar. They've tried doing textbook problems, but they would like to find something more interesting or conceptually difficult. J. D. Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics may be a good resource for them.
lizs
I and a few other freshman are in a seminar that's intended to help us in E & M and requires us to bring questions and problems to the seminar to work on. We've been doing some textbook problems, but it would be better if we could find something more challenging or conceptually interesting so that about four people could work through it. Other than poking around internet forums, does anyone have any suggestions for where we might find some unique or conceptually difficult problems?

We're in MIT's 8.022 ("advanced* electricity and magnetism"). It's a freshman course that assumes knowledge of multivariable calculus. We use Purcell's Electricity and Magnetism (which I rather like). Might Griffiths be a good resource for more material?

*incredibly difficult

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I'm new around here. :/

Physics news on Phys.org
Thread moved to Advanced Physics

Welcome to Physics Forums :smile:

For pretty challenging problems, you could try J. D. Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics. It's a standard textbook for 1st year graduate students, and I'll bet every physics professor in your department owns a copy. If the graduate level class at MIT uses it, then the grad students will all own a copy too.

I will mention that many graduate students do find the book challenging. An advantage for you is that it uses the same units as Purcell's book (cgs/Gaussian).

Good luck in your studies, I hope you have time to stick around here at PF.

EDIT:
I haven't used Griffiths, but I know it's a pretty widely used textbook and is probably fine for your purposes. If it uses MKS units, you'll have to deal with equations looking different -- but I don't offhand know what units Griffiths uses.

Last edited:
Thank you, I'll look into both! Griffiths uses MKS but I suppose I'll have to learn to deal with it at some point anyway.

And yeah, I hope I have time at some point to stick around here and help others out a bit :)

1. What is E&M and why are the problems interesting?

E&M stands for electricity and magnetism, and it is a branch of physics that deals with the study of electric and magnetic fields, their interactions, and their effects on matter. The problems in this field are interesting because they require a combination of mathematical, analytical, and conceptual skills to solve, making them challenging and intellectually stimulating.

2. What are some common types of E&M problems?

Some common types of E&M problems include calculating electric and magnetic fields in different scenarios, determining forces and torques on charged particles or objects in electric and magnetic fields, and analyzing circuits or electromagnetic waves.

3. What are some real-world applications of E&M problems?

E&M problems have many practical applications, including understanding and designing electronic devices, motors, generators, and transformers. They are also essential for understanding how electromagnetic waves are used in communication technologies like radios, cell phones, and satellites.

4. What are some useful techniques for solving E&M problems?

Some useful techniques for solving E&M problems include using vector calculus, applying the principles of conservation of energy and charge, and using analogies between electric and magnetic fields to simplify calculations. It is also helpful to draw diagrams and visualize the problem to better understand the physical situation.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in E&M?

To improve your problem-solving skills in E&M, it is essential to have a strong foundation in the basic principles and equations of the field. Practice solving a variety of problems, and seek out challenging and diverse problems to expand your problem-solving abilities. It can also be helpful to work with peers or seek guidance from a mentor or teacher. Additionally, having a deep understanding of the concepts and being able to visualize the problem can greatly aid in finding a solution.