What caused this unique ice formation near freezing temperatures?

In summary, this ice formation occurred with temperature hovering near zero C. It looks like something that was made in a mould! I suspect that a combination of winds and pressures caused by growing ice crystals in the plastic bucket tilted some crystals which continued to grow.
Iain
image.jpg
this ice formation occurred with temperature hovering near zero C. It looks like something that was made in a mould! I suspect that a combination of winds and pressures caused by growing ice crystals in the plastic bucket tilted some crystals which continued to grow.
I

Likes Justice Hunter
Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you for sharing that.

Two days ago I experienced an interesting ice formation on a local footbridge. (Temperature also about exactly 0C)
Black ice, completely invisible, but as I started the descending side of the bridge my feet just flew away from the rest of me and I was flat on my back.
Still am a bit sore now.

OmCheeto said:
Ice spikes! [caltech]

We discussed them about 3 years ago: Weired Ice Cube - How'd it happen? [PF]
And there are probably more.
Yes I checked out some of the posts. Thanks for the information.
Interestingly, the phenomenon appears fairly often here in Brish Columbia- we live on the east coast of Vancouver Island so it can be quite wet all winter, but we don't usually see low temperatures. Certainly the first time I have seen this happen.

Iain said:
Yes I checked out some of the posts. Thanks for the information.
Interestingly, the phenomenon appears fairly often here in Brish Columbia- we live on the east coast of Vancouver Island so it can be quite wet all winter, but we don't usually see low temperatures. Certainly the first time I have seen this happen.
I live about 250 miles south of you, and do not recall seeing one of these until about 2 years ago.
I've been living here for 56 years, so that's a long time not to have noticed something like that.

In a thread predating my presence here at the forum, Strange Ice cube behavior, two members at similar latitudes(40°-48°) also were not familiar with the process.
A third, in Toronto, was able to identify the phenomenon.

Here's a picture of mine, taken January of 2014.
pf.2014.January.ice.spike.jpg

I was very proud of it.

Likes NascentOxygen
OmCheeto said:
I live about 250 miles south of you, and do not recall seeing one of these until about 2 years ago.
I've been living here for 56 years, so that's a long time not to have noticed something like that.

In a thread predating my presence here at the forum, Strange Ice cube behavior, two members at similar latitudes(40°-48°) also were not familiar with the process.
A third, in Toronto, was able to identify the phenomenon.

Here's a picture of mine, taken January of 2014.
pf.2014.January.ice.spike.jpg

I was very proud of it.
That is a neat shot! Unless you see one in person, I gather some people will declare the phenomenon to be impossible.
Some food for thought going on here. While I haven't been able to get a measurement on the angles, I found that in the case I photographed, there were two related objects: one was a triangular stalagmite shape, the other larger object is a hollow triangular "vase" shape. The angles of the triangles seem to be very similar whether a solid or vase-like structure. I also note that the structures appear to have a distinctive lean, again apparently the same whether solid or hollow.
Whilst researching ice, I read that ice takes on cubic or trapezoidal crystal forms. I wonder now if there is some relationship whereby the typical hexagonal shape adopted by ice crystals in the air-i.e. snowflakes and the trapezoidal form we see influence each other. The triangles are suggestive!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_spike

They are caused when water is forced up through a small hole or crack in the ice. The water wets the edges of the hole, then freezes, building up layer by layer.

Iain said:
That is a neat shot! Unless you see one in person, I gather some people will declare the phenomenon to be impossible.
Some food for thought going on here. While I haven't been able to get a measurement on the angles, I found that in the case I photographed, there were two related objects: one was a triangular stalagmite shape, the other larger object is a hollow triangular "vase" shape. The angles of the triangles seem to be very similar whether a solid or vase-like structure. I also note that the structures appear to have a distinctive lean, again apparently the same whether solid or hollow.
Whilst researching ice, I read that ice takes on cubic or trapezoidal crystal forms. I wonder now if there is some relationship whereby the typical hexagonal shape adopted by ice crystals in the air-i.e. snowflakes and the trapezoidal form we see influence each other. The triangles are suggestive!
I have no idea how those other shapes form, and wiki's "Mechanism of formation" explanation is a bit too long and story-problem-ish for me to follow. ps. Hey! I've been to Nanaimo! Can't remember a thing about it. That was back in 1983, a few days after the queen visited Victoria. I got to see the queen! :smile:

1. What causes interesting ice formations?

Interesting ice formations can be caused by a variety of factors, including temperature fluctuations, wind patterns, and the presence of impurities in the water. These factors can lead to unique and intricate patterns in the formation of ice.

2. Where can interesting ice formations be found?

Interesting ice formations can be found in a variety of locations, including frozen lakes, rivers, and waterfalls, as well as in colder regions of the world such as the Arctic and Antarctic. They can also form on man-made structures like buildings and bridges during winter.

3. How do interesting ice formations form?

Interesting ice formations form when water freezes and expands, creating cracks and crevices in the ice. These cracks can then be shaped and altered by external factors such as wind and temperature, resulting in unique and fascinating patterns.

4. Can interesting ice formations be dangerous?

While they may be visually appealing, interesting ice formations can also be dangerous. They can create unstable surfaces for walking or driving on and can also pose a threat to structures and infrastructure. It is important to exercise caution and follow safety guidelines when exploring or encountering these formations.

5. How do scientists study interesting ice formations?

Scientists study interesting ice formations through a combination of field observations and laboratory experiments. They may also use remote sensing techniques, such as satellite imagery, to track and monitor the formation and evolution of these structures. Additionally, scientists may use computer models to simulate and better understand the factors that contribute to the formation of these unique ice formations.