What is the impulse exerted by a bullet on a block?

In summary: But it seems that the answer is not right. I entered it, but not right.Right x-axis to be positive and left to be negative. (Choice of sign convention lay in user's choice , but then he has to stick to that convention throughout the problem.) So by...x = -v_i Then, the impulse would be I = (-v_i)v_f. Then, the impulse would be I = (-v_i)v_f.
NasuSama

Homework Statement

A bullet of mass m = 17.6 g traveling horizontally at speed vo = 565 m/s strikes a block of mass M = 678 g sitting on a frictionless, horizontal table. This time, however, it comes out the other side of the block at speed v = 524 m/s.

Calculate J, the magnitude of the impulse exerted by the bullet on the block.

Homework Equations

Hm...

Impulse = Momentum = Ft = mv_f² - mv_i²

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that the impulse is same as the momentum. I think that is...

Impulse = (M + m)v_f² - mv_i²

But it seems like I'm on the wrong path.

Physics news on Phys.org
The momentum is mV. When a force F acts for time Δt on a point mass m the momentum will change and the change of momentum equals to the impulse of the force: FΔt=mVf-mVi

ehild

ehild said:
The momentum is mV. When a force F acts for time Δt on a point mass m the momentum will change and the change of momentum equals to the impulse of the force: FΔt=mVf-mVi

ehild

Does this means that only the mass of the bullet takes in account of this situation?

It means that the momentum is proportional to the velocity instead of the square of the velocity as you wrote.

ehild

NasuSama said:

Homework Statement

A bullet of mass m = 17.6 g traveling horizontally at speed vo = 565 m/s strikes a block of mass M = 678 g sitting on a frictionless, horizontal table. This time, however, it comes out the other side of the block at speed v = 524 m/s.

Calculate J, the magnitude of the impulse exerted by the bullet on the block.

Homework Equations

Hm...

Impulse = Momentum = Ft = mv_f - mv_

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that the impulse is same as the momentum. I think that is...

Impulse = (M + m)v_f - mv_i

But it seems like I'm on the wrong path.

This is the revised work.

ehild said:
It means that the momentum is proportional to the velocity instead of the square of the velocity as you wrote.

ehild

You didn't answer my question. Does the mass of the bullet takes in account of the momentum or the mass of both objects?

Lacking approach and explanation here. Not helpful. -__-

NasuSama said:
Lacking approach and explanation here. Not helpful. -__-

Sorry.

ehild

Waiting for other response. Otherwise, it seems that I need to answer myself.

Did you try using I = pfinal - pinitial?

bdh2991 said:
Did you try using I = pfinal - pinitial?

Yes, I did, but it seems that I made the wrong approach. I believe that is...

(m + M)v_f² - (m + M)v_i²
= - (m + M)v_i²

It doesn't state that part of the mass of the block sticks to the bullet so you should just be able to use the bullet mass and the final and inital velocities for change in momentum

bdh2991 said:
It doesn't state that part of the mass of the block sticks to the bullet so you should just be able to use the bullet mass and the final and inital velocities for change in momentum

Then, it's mv_f - mv_i, where m is the mass of the small bullet.

Then, this is the negative impulse. We have m(v_f - v_i)

bdh2991 said:

This is what I have:

I = mv_f - mv_i

If I only use the mass of the bullet as the part of this equation, then we have...

I = 0.0176 * (524 - 565) = -0.722

Is that true?

NasuSama said:
This is what I have:

I = mv_f - mv_i

If I only use the mass of the bullet as the part of this equation, then we have...

I = 0.0176 * (524 - 565) = -0.722

Is that true?

All you were supposed to calculate was I = Δp , where Δp is linear momentum and I is impulse...

Your work seems correct to me. Mass of the block was only to confuse you. This is because from the given parameters , you cannot solve for deceleration in bullet and time period..

sankalpmittal said:
All you were supposed to calculate was I = Δp , where Δp is linear momentum and I is impulse...

Your work seems correct to me. Mass of the block was only to confuse you. This is because from the given parameters , you cannot solve for deceleration in bullet and time period..

But it seems that the answer is not right. I entered it, but not right.

NasuSama said:
But it seems that the answer is not right. I entered it, but not right.

Well consider right x-axis to be positive and left to be negative. (Choice of sign convention lay in user's choice , but then he has to stick to that convention throughout the problem.) So by Newton's third law , force which block exerts on bullet will be equal and opposite to force exerted by bullet on block. Since Δt is constant , so impulse exerted by block on bullet will be negative of that by bullet on block. Thus I=Δp , simply.

Why you say , this isn't correct ?

sankalpmittal said:
Well consider right x-axis to be positive and left to be negative. (Choice of sign convention lay in user's choice , but then he has to stick to that convention throughout the problem.) So by Newton's third law , force which block exerts on bullet will be equal and opposite to force exerted by bullet on block. Since Δt is constant , so impulse exerted by block on bullet will be negative of that by bullet on block. Thus I=Δp , simply.

Why you say , this isn't correct ?

Based on what I know, impulse can't be negative. It's force times time. Even though impulse is same as the momentum, impulse can't have negative magnitude. I spoke with my instructor about this, and he said that impulse can't be negative.

Adding into what I said before, impulse is Force times time. Though it's the same as momentum, the impulse can't be negative. That is what is different from the momentum.

NasuSama said:
Adding into what I said before, impulse is Force times time. Though it's the same as momentum, the impulse can't be negative. That is what is different from the momentum.

Of course , impulse can be negative if you consider its direction based on your sign convention. Impulse is a vector quantity , and vector quantities can be negative , although its magnitude is always positive.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080113150901AAmY7fE
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100303191234AAUuV5V
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=912889

Also consult professor google...

1. What is an Interesting Impulse Problem?

An Interesting Impulse Problem is a scientific concept that involves studying the effects of a sudden or impulsive force on a system. This can range from the impact of a meteor on Earth to the sudden acceleration of a car in a collision.

2. How does an Interesting Impulse Problem differ from other types of problems?

An Interesting Impulse Problem is unique because it focuses on the effects of a sudden and short-lived force, rather than a steady or continuous force. This requires a different approach and set of equations to solve.

3. What are some examples of Interesting Impulse Problems?

Some examples of Interesting Impulse Problems include the study of the impact of an asteroid on a planet, the effect of a sudden earthquake on a building, and the behavior of a baseball after being hit by a bat.

4. What are the applications of studying Interesting Impulse Problems?

Studying Interesting Impulse Problems allows us to better understand the behavior of systems under sudden and impulsive forces. This can have practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and geology.

5. How do scientists approach solving Interesting Impulse Problems?

Scientists use a combination of theoretical models, computer simulations, and experimental data to solve Interesting Impulse Problems. They also use principles of mechanics and other relevant scientific concepts to analyze and understand the behavior of the system under the impulsive force.