Interference and wave nature of light

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of interference between two in-phase sources of waves that are separated by a distance of 4.00 m and produce waves with a wavelength of 5.00 m. The question asks for the locations where the same type of interference occurs on the line between the two sources. The solution explains that either d1 + d2 must be less than or equal to 4m or f1 + f2 must be less than or equal to 4m, where d1 and d2 are distances from one source and f1 and f2 are distances from the other source. By symmetry, it can be concluded that d1 + d2 = 4m.
lovelyrwwr
Two in-phase sources of waves are separated by a distance of 4.00 m. These sources produce identical waves that have a wavelength of 5.00 m. On the line between them, there are two places at which the same type of interference occurs. Where are the places located?

I already know the answers from this website http://lev.ccny.cuny.edu/~hmakse/TEACHING/204soln27.pdf problem 3. However I cannot for the life of me understand the solution. I especially don't understand why d1 + d2 has to be less than 4. I have spent an hour on this problem and re-reading the explanation and my textbook. But it just doesn't click.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I followed that link, but unfortunately some of the pages appear blank for me, including the one with the relevant solution. Are d1 and d2 the distances from a particular source? If so, let F1, f2 be the distances from the other source. You know d1 + d2 + f1 +f2 = 8m, so either d1 + d2 <= 4m or f1+f2 <= 4m. So choose as reference the source which is nearer on average.

Untitled.png

Here is the solution. I think I am having trouble envisioning the scenario :/

I don't like the wording of the question. Interference will occur everywhere along the line. It ought to specify totally constructive or totally destructive.
I agree the d1+d2=4m argument is a bit glib. By symmetry, if one point is d1 from one source then there must be another such point d1 from the other source. Assuming there are exactly two such points then you can conclude d1+d2=4m.

I can understand your frustration with this concept. Interference and the wave nature of light can be complex and difficult to grasp at first. Let me try to explain the solution to this problem in a different way.

When two waves meet, they can either interfere constructively (adding up to a larger amplitude) or destructively (canceling each other out). In this problem, we have two in-phase sources of waves, meaning their crests and troughs align perfectly. This results in constructive interference at certain points along the line between the two sources.

To determine where these points are located, we need to consider the path difference, which is the difference in distance traveled by the waves from each source to a particular point. In constructive interference, the path difference must be a whole number multiple of the wavelength (5.00 m in this case).

For the first point of interference, the path difference must be 0 (since the waves are coming from the same source and have traveled the same distance). This means that the distance between the two sources (4.00 m) must be a whole number multiple of the wavelength, which is why d1 + d2 must be less than 4.00 m.

For the second point of interference, the path difference must be equal to one wavelength. So, we can set up the equation d1 + d2 = 5.00 m and solve for d1. This gives us one possible location for the second point of interference.

I hope this explanation helps you to better understand this problem. It may also be helpful to visualize the interference patterns using diagrams or animations. Keep practicing and don't hesitate to ask for clarification if needed. Understanding these concepts takes time and effort, but it will eventually click for you.

Related to Interference and wave nature of light

What is interference?

Interference is a phenomenon that occurs when two or more waves interact with each other. This can result in the waves either reinforcing or canceling each other out, depending on their relative amplitudes and phases.

How does interference relate to light?

Light is a form of electromagnetic wave, and therefore can exhibit interference. When two or more light waves meet, they can interfere with each other in a similar manner as other types of waves.

What is constructive interference?

Constructive interference occurs when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude meet and their crests align, resulting in a larger amplitude. This can create bright regions in interference patterns.

What is destructive interference?

Destructive interference occurs when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude meet and their crests and troughs align, resulting in a smaller or even zero amplitude. This can create dark regions in interference patterns.

What is the double-slit experiment?

The double-slit experiment is a classic experiment that demonstrates the wave nature of light. It involves shining a light through two narrow slits and observing the interference pattern that is created on a screen behind the slits. This experiment supports the idea that light behaves as a wave, as the interference pattern would not occur if light only behaved as particles.