Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interference between different mode of light

1. Oct 22, 2009 #1
    Hi,

If I have two different light modes focused onto a single spot, could they interfere?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2009 #2
    Theoretically I think the answer is no, practically, they could. I'm just studying how different wavelengths of light are combined and sent down a single fibre optic cable, then split using gratings at the other end into separate wavelengths again. This is allowed but there is some distortion associated with the method. I don't know the details of the mechanisms though.

4. Oct 22, 2009 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

What do you mean by "different light modes?"

5. Oct 22, 2009 #4
    hi,

I am thinking of mode as in the mode in fiber...specifically toying around the idea of a two mode fiber

6. Oct 22, 2009 #5
    I assumed you meant "frequency". Your explanation of "different light modes" makes me even more confused as to what you mean!

7. Oct 22, 2009 #6
    I believe he's just referring to multimode fibre. And yes the different modes can interfere.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook