How Close to Speaker B Causes Destructive Interference at 172 Hz?

In summary, the problem involves two loudspeakers, A and B, emitting sinusoidal waves in phase. The frequency of the waves is 172 Hz and the speed of sound in air is 344 m/s. The question is asking for the closest distance you can be to speaker B and still experience destructive interference. The solution involves using the condition for destructive interference, d_a-d_b=n(wavelength)/2, with n=1 for the shortest distance. The distance between the two speakers and the wavelength of the sound (2m) are also key factors in solving the problem.
jaded18
[SOLVED] Interference of Sound Waves

Two loudspeakers, A and B, are driven by the same amplifier and emit sinusoidal waves in phase. The frequency of the waves emitted by each speaker is 172 Hz. You are 8.00 m from speaker A. Take the speed of sound in air to be 344 m/s.
What is the closest you can be to speaker B and be at a point of destructive interference?
__________I am having the hardest time trying to visualize the problem. I know that destructive interference occurs when the difference in path lengths traveled by sound waves is a half integer number of wavelengths. So I need to know the wavelength of the sound which is just 2m.

I also know that in general if d_a and d_b are paths traveled by two waves of equal frequency that are originally emitted in phase, the condition for destructive interference is d_a-d_b=n(wavelength)/2 where wavelength is what I calculated it to be (2m) and n=any nonzero odd integer. I think I need to know what the value of n is that corresponds to the shortest distance d_b to solve my prob. (is d_a=8m? then what is d_b?)

I'm going around in circles and getting nowhere. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Take n=1 for shortest distance from speaker B.

Usually, it is important to know the distance between the two speakers. Is this not given?

Then you can move B wherever you like. If you are 8 m from A, and wavelength is 2 m, the sound form A has traveled 4 full integer multiples of the wavelength. You must place B at a location such that the sound will arrive 1/2 wavelength out of phase. One full wavelength? or less? how much less?

apparently n=1 is not the right answer.

all info has been given.

gahh. i need help. Yes, sound from A has traveled 4X the wavelength of sound emitted by the loud speakers. Sound from B must be moved so that the sound arrives 1/2 wavelength out of phase (d_a-d_b=n(wavelength)/2) so are you telling me the same thing that Vijay told me, that n=1?

am i approaching this the wrong way? ..Nobody??

The correct answer is 1.00m.
Hint: The closest you can be to B. (lamda/2)

Related to How Close to Speaker B Causes Destructive Interference at 172 Hz?

1. What is interference of sound waves?

The interference of sound waves refers to the phenomenon where two or more sound waves interact with each other and create a new wave. This can result in either an amplification or cancellation of the original waves, depending on their relative phases.

2. What causes interference of sound waves?

Interference of sound waves occurs when two or more sound waves are in the same medium and overlap with each other. This can happen when two sound sources emit waves of the same frequency and wavelength, or when a single sound wave reflects off of multiple surfaces.

3. What are the types of interference of sound waves?

There are two types of interference of sound waves: constructive and destructive. Constructive interference occurs when the waves are in phase and result in an increase in amplitude, while destructive interference occurs when the waves are out of phase and result in a decrease in amplitude.

4. How does interference of sound waves affect sound quality?

The interference of sound waves can significantly impact sound quality. Constructive interference can enhance the loudness and clarity of sound, while destructive interference can cause sound distortion or even complete cancellation. This is why proper sound wave management is crucial in audio engineering and acoustics.

5. How is interference of sound waves used in practical applications?

Interference of sound waves is used in various practical applications. For example, in noise-cancelling headphones, destructive interference is used to cancel out unwanted ambient noise. It is also used in concert halls and recording studios to manipulate sound quality and create desired acoustic effects. Additionally, studies on sound wave interference have led to advancements in technologies such as ultrasound imaging and sonar systems.