Intergal? work done by a non constant force

NmIn summary, the work done on the object by the force of (4.38 x i + 2.84 y j) N as it moves in the x direction from the origin to x = 5.52 m is 48.18 Nm. This is calculated using the integral of the x-component of the force from 0 to 5.52 m.
Chuck 86

Homework Statement

A force F = (4.38 x i + 2.84 y j) N acts on an object as it moves in the x direction from the origin to x = 5.52 m. Calculate the work done on the object by the force.

Homework Equations

intergal of F from 0 to 5.52m

The Attempt at a Solution

not sure if I am suppose to intergrate, or what I am supposed to do to start the process

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]W=\int\limits_{x=0}^{x=5.52}\vec{F}.{\rm d}\vec{x}[/tex]

where [tex]\vec{x}=x\vec{i}[/tex] is the position vector.

ok so u intergrate the sum of X and Y right?

Not exactly. By the looks of the problem, the object only moved in the x direction. So there is no net work in the y-direction. You only integrate the x-component.

So then it would be the intergal of 4x?

Yes.

[tex]{\rm d}\vec{x}={\rm d}x \vec{i}[/tex]

so

[tex]\vec{F}.{\rm d}\vec{x}=\left(4.38x \vec{i}+2.84y \vec{j}\right). \vec{i} {\rm d}x=4.38x{\rm d}x[/tex]

[tex]W=\int\limits_0^{5.52} 4.38x{\rm d}x[/tex]

What is intergalactic work?

Intergalactic work refers to the amount of energy transferred to an object by a non constant force as it moves through different galaxies or intergalactic space.

How is intergalactic work calculated?

Intergalactic work is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force applied to an object by the distance it travels in the direction of the force.

What is a non constant force?

A non constant force is a force that changes in magnitude or direction as the object moves. This is different from a constant force, which remains the same throughout the object's motion.

What are some examples of non constant forces?

Some examples of non constant forces include gravitational force, magnetic force, and air resistance. These forces can change in magnitude or direction depending on the position or velocity of the object.

How does intergalactic work differ from regular work?

Intergalactic work differs from regular work in that it takes into account the effects of objects moving through space in different galaxies, where the force of gravity and other non constant forces can vary significantly.