Calculating Internal Energy of Solid CO2: How to Obtain Thermodynamic Values?

In summary, the conversation discusses a challenge with obtaining thermodynamic values for CO2 from common databases and the need to use alternative sources such as REFPROP and EES. The question also arises about calculating internal energy and entropy for CO2 in solid state. The response suggests finding specific heat capacity and phase change data for CO2 in solid state.
hymeme
I am doing a simple thermodynamic analysis. Couldn't get thermodynamic values (such as internal energy, exergy, and so on) from common data base of CO2. I looked it up in REFPROP(By NIST) and EES. None of them have data below 212K. At one atmosphere CO2 sublime at about 195K.
Could anyone explain this to me? How to calculate the internal energy and entropy when CO2 is in solid stae?
Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you very much! I felt that it is kind strange that the properties of solid state are not included.

1. What is the internal energy of dry ice?

The internal energy of dry ice refers to the total energy contained within the substance, including both its potential and kinetic energy. This energy is due to the molecular motion and interactions of the dry ice particles.

2. How is the internal energy of dry ice measured?

The internal energy of dry ice can be measured using a variety of methods, including calorimetry and thermodynamics. These techniques involve measuring the temperature changes of the dry ice and its surroundings to calculate the internal energy.

3. What factors affect the internal energy of dry ice?

The internal energy of dry ice is affected by several factors, including temperature, pressure, and the amount of dry ice present. The higher the temperature and pressure, the greater the internal energy will be.

4. What happens to the internal energy of dry ice when it sublimates?

When dry ice sublimates, it transitions directly from a solid to a gas state. This process involves a significant increase in internal energy as the molecules gain kinetic energy and move more rapidly. This increase in energy can be observed as the dry ice releases gas and produces a fog-like effect.

5. Can the internal energy of dry ice be harnessed for practical use?

Yes, the internal energy of dry ice can be utilized for various purposes, such as in cryogenics and refrigeration. Dry ice's ability to undergo sublimation at relatively low temperatures makes it a valuable tool for creating cold environments and preserving perishable items.