Internally Heated Dessicant Air Dryer Exhaust Pipe

In summary: At the same time I should have paid more attention to the "vent piping" part of your initial post.OK, now that we are on the same page, I would expect that, at worst case, it might result in the dryer injecting some amount of heated air into the downstream plant air supply system when the dryer is cycled back online. Ultimately, this is a subject best discussed with the drier manufacturer.
David Gin
Hi all,

Is there a correlation between an Air Dryer capacity and the exhaust pipe diameter? How would a small exhaust pipe diameter (not able to exhaust air enough) affects the capacity of an air dryer? If it does, could you expand on this? Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
What happens if the diameter is zero?

CWatters said:
What happens if the diameter is zero?
Heat won't be able to escape during regeneration phase as the desiccant is heated up for re-use.

As long as the maximum flow rate and and operating pressure do not exceed those specified for the selected dryer, any exhaust flow rate reduction will not have a detrimental effect on the dryer's performance.
In multi-use air systems, the flow in the systems continuously vary in accordance with the down stream equipment demands; but, as long as the dryer's rated capacity (scfm), and its maximum rated operating pressure are not exceeded there are no detrimental effects from those varying demand rates.

JBA said:
As long as the maximum flow rate and and operating pressure do not exceed those specified for the selected dryer, any exhaust flow rate reduction will not have a detrimental effect on the dryer's performance.
In multi-use air systems, the flow in the systems continuously vary in accordance with the down stream equipment demands; but, as long as the dryer's rated capacity (scfm), and its maximum rated operating pressure are not exceeded there are no detrimental effects from those varying demand rates.
Hi JBA,
Appreciate your inputs. How about if the air dryer is not exhausted quickly enough due to the exhaust piping is design smaller than the required specifications, how would it affect the dryer capacity?
Thanks,

I think I need to get some clarification on what part of the drier cycle you are concerned about when you refer to the "exhaust piping" flow.

Under standard applications there are always times when there are no demands on the air supply output, so I am having a bit of trouble understanding exactly your issue about reduced flow rates through the drier.

JBA said:
I think I need to get some clarification on what part of the drier cycle you are concerned about when you refer to the "exhaust piping" flow.

Under standard applications there are always times when there are no demands on the air supply output, so I am having a bit of trouble understanding exactly your issue about reduced flow rates through the drier.
That will be during the regeneration phase where heat is removed after the desiccant is heated.

So basically we are discussing the venting flow volume during that phase vs the time allotted by the dryer controller for that process, correct?

JBA said:
So basically we are discussing the venting flow volume during that phase vs the time allotted by the dryer controller for that process, correct?
That's right, apologies for not being clearer earlier. Is there a correlation/explanation between the amount of air exhausted during this phase that would cause the air dryer to work at a reduced capacity?

At the same time I should have paid more attention to the "vent piping" part of your initial post.
OK, now that we are on the same page, I would expect that, at worst case, it might result in the dryer injecting some amount of heated air into the downstream plant air supply system when the dryer is cycled back online. Ultimately, this is a subject best discussed with the drier manufacturer.

1. What is an Internally Heated Dessicant Air Dryer Exhaust Pipe?

An Internally Heated Dessicant Air Dryer Exhaust Pipe is a component used in air drying systems that removes moisture from compressed air. It works by using a process called adsorption, which involves the use of a desiccant material to attract and trap moisture from the air.

2. How does an Internally Heated Dessicant Air Dryer Exhaust Pipe work?

The process starts with compressed air entering the dryer and passing through a pre-filter to remove any large particles. The air then enters the exhaust pipe, where the desiccant material adsorbs the moisture. The now dry air then exits the dryer and enters the air distribution system.

3. What are the benefits of using an Internally Heated Dessicant Air Dryer Exhaust Pipe?

There are several benefits to using this type of air dryer. It removes moisture from the air, preventing damage to equipment and products. It also helps improve the quality of the compressed air, making it suitable for use in sensitive applications. Additionally, it can reduce energy costs by using heat from the compressed air to regenerate the desiccant material.

4. How often should the desiccant material be replaced?

The frequency of desiccant replacement depends on various factors, such as the type of desiccant used, the operating conditions, and the amount of moisture in the compressed air. It is recommended to follow the manufacturer's guidelines and regularly monitor the performance of the dryer to determine when the desiccant needs to be replaced.

5. Are there any maintenance requirements for an Internally Heated Dessicant Air Dryer Exhaust Pipe?

Yes, regular maintenance is essential to ensure the optimal performance of the dryer. This includes replacing the desiccant material, checking and cleaning filters, and inspecting for any leaks or damage. It is also crucial to follow the manufacturer's instructions for maintenance and operation to prolong the lifespan of the dryer.