1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other International math and physics high school books

1. Apr 28, 2016 #1
    I want to learn high school physics and math but using the international curriculum I want to see everything taught at high school in those books from grade 9 to 12 any suggestion ?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2016 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What is "the international curriculum"?

4. Apr 28, 2016 #3
    I want to know . I mean by this the curriculum used in physics in all countries the best curriculum

5. Apr 28, 2016 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Sorry, you need to be a lot more detailed if you want to get sensible answers.

6. Apr 28, 2016 #5

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Well, usually school books are not that good. It's much more valuable to use freshmen physics books. There the curriculum is really international, which is natural since physics is an international endeavor anyway. What they do to physics (and even worse to math) at highschool usually makes me very sad, if not depressive :-(.

7. Apr 28, 2016 #6
    I can read OP's questions two ways:
    1. Is there an 'international' curriculum that applies to almost all countries and not US specific? If so, are there books that follow this curriculum?

2. is there an 'international' curriculum for Physics that is followed in an international school (say, a school based in US that caters to international students)? If so, are there books that follow this curriculum?

I am not sure what he reason is for asking the question(s) and have no idea whether there is an 'all encompassing' physics curriculum or if there are books for it.

8. Apr 28, 2016 #7
    yes that is my question I want to know the books that contain all high school physics ALL

9. Apr 28, 2016 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Halliday and Resnick

10. Apr 28, 2016 #9
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  11. Apr 28, 2016 #10
    Another Book that I really like (although it may not cover the syllabus fully)
    https://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-Physics-Mechanics-Relativity-Thermodynamics/dp/0300192207/

The second volume is not released yet but will be soon.
    https://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-Physics-II-Electromagnetism-Mechanics/dp/0300212364/

These are the lectures that go with the books.
    http://oyc.yale.edu/physics/phys-200
    http://oyc.yale.edu/physics/phys-201

These are the books that Shankar suggests with the course (his own books are younger than the courses)

1. Fishbane, Paul M., Stephen Gasiorowicz, and Stephen T. Thornton. 2005. Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics, 3rd Edition. Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Prentice-Hall.

2. Serway, Raymond A., and John W. Jewett, Jr. 2008. Physics for Scientists and Engineers, 7th Edition, Part II. Belmont, CA: Thomson Brooks/Cole.

3. Wolfson, Richard and Jay Pasachoff. 1998. Physics with Modern Physics for Scientists and Engineers, 3d ed. Reading, MA: Addison Wesley Publishing Company.

4. Recommended math supplement: Shankar, Ramamurti. 2003. Basic Training in Mathematics: A Fitness Program for Science Students. New York: Springer Publishing Company.

12. Apr 30, 2016 #11
    I like Alonso and Finn Fundamentals of Physics 3 volume set. It can get pricey. So only get these if you have the money.

Like Micromass suggested, Halliday and Resnick is good.

If you do go purchase Alonso and Finn (the original not the dumbed down reprint), then supplement it with Halliday.
    Make sure you know basic calculus.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted