How to Calculate the Intersection Point of Two Cycloids?

• Thread starter physicsforumer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Intersection
In summary, In post #4, Cycloid #1 is described by x=r(arccos(-y/r+1)-sin(arccos(-y/r+1))+u) and Cycloid #2 is described by x=r(arccos(-y/r+1)+u) at the intersection point.
physicsforumer

Homework Statement

Greetings everyone!
I would like to know, how to calculate the intersection point of two cycloids.
ogK6bZJ.png

Homework Equations

The equations of the cycloid are the following:
x=r(t-sin(t))
y=r(1-cos(t))

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve it by myself, but I was'nt able to do it.
I did a research on the a topic, and I found that, the equations of the cycloids are transcendent, so it takes infinite steps to solve them.
But I can't imagine, that there is no solution for this problem. Can I get a little help with this? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no "general" way to find the intersections of all cycloids except to do the algebra. I don't know what you mean by "the equations of the cycloids are transcendent, so it takes infinite steps to solve them". Exponential and trig functions are transcendental functions and it is easy to solve them. However, we will need "special functions" to solve them just as we have to define the logarithm and inverse trig functions to solve such equations.

Thanks for the immediate answer.
Yes, I can understand that, the intersection of a curtate or a prolate cycloid is very different.
As far as I know, transcendent in this case means that, there is no way to express t from the equation, that has t and sin(t) in it also. Because you would get in a loop of /sin(.) /arcsin(.) operations, while you wasn't able get closer to the solution.
For example:
t=sin(t) /arcsin(t)
arcsin(t)=t /sin(t)
t=sin(t) /arcsin(t)

Here is, how I tried to solve this:
To get the coordinates of IP(x,y) first I chose to deal with the x axis. I tried to make the equations of the two cycloids equal.
Cycloid #1: x=r(t-sin(t))
Cycloid #2: x=r(t-sin(t)+u)
If I try to make these two equations equal, I will get to the conclusion, that u=0, which is can't be true.
r(t-sin(t)))=r(t-sin(t)+u) /r
t-sin(t)=t-sin(t)+u /-t,+sin(t)
u=0
I'm afraid I'm missing something very basic here.

Greetins again!

I checked, how parametric equations are solved.
Basically, you have to solve one of them for t.
y=r(1-cos(t))
t=arccos(-y/r+1)
I put this into the equation of x for both cycloid.
x=r(arccos(-y/r+1)-sin(arccos(-y/r+1)))
x=r(arccos(-y/r+1)-sin(arccos(-y/r+1))+u)
When I make these equations equal, I get to where I was before: u=0, which is can't be true in this case. Could you give me some advice, how to progress further with this?
Thanks in advance!

physicsforumer said:
Greetins again!

I checked, how parametric equations are solved.
Basically, you have to solve one of them for t.
y=r(1-cos(t))
t=arccos(-y/r+1)
I put this into the equation of x for both cycloid.
x=r(arccos(-y/r+1)-sin(arccos(-y/r+1)))
When I make these equations equal, I get to where I was before: u=0, which is can't be true in this case. Could you give me some advice, how to progress further with this?
Thanks in advance!
Strange. You have cycloid equation in parametric form. That's one equation. All you can get is locus and talking about intersection point does not make any sense unless you have one more equation.

Dear pfr,

I have two things to remark:

1. what is the picture in post #1 representing ? A cycloid with the parametric description x=r(t-sin(t)), y=r(1-cos(t)) looks quite differernt in the x-y plane. What are XC and YC ?

2. You are starting to skid in post #4 when you think the second cycloid is described by
because that sets the t of cycloid #1 equal to that of cycloid #2 at the intersection point. There's no reason for that.

Picture shows blue line for x=t-sin(t) y=1-cos(t), red line for x+1.5=t'-sin(t') y=1-cos(t')
Clearly, when x1 = x2 then t is not equal to t'

Attachments

• Cycloid.jpg
    Cycloid.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 479

Related to How to Calculate the Intersection Point of Two Cycloids?

1. What is the intersection of cycloids?

The intersection of cycloids is the point where two cycloids, which are curves traced by a point on a circle that is rolling along a straight line, meet or cross paths.

2. How is the intersection of cycloids calculated?

The intersection of cycloids can be calculated using mathematical equations and techniques, such as finding the equations of the two cycloids and then solving for the point of intersection.

3. What are the real-world applications of the intersection of cycloids?

The intersection of cycloids has various real-world applications, such as in the design of gears and gear trains, the movement of pistons in engines, and even in the creation of artwork and patterns.

4. Can the intersection of cycloids be used in optimization problems?

Yes, the intersection of cycloids can be used in optimization problems, as it involves finding the optimal point where two curves intersect, which can be used to solve various engineering and mathematical problems.

5. Are there different types of intersection for cycloids?

Yes, there are two types of intersection for cycloids: transverse intersection, where the two cycloids intersect at a right angle, and tangential intersection, where the two cycloids touch each other at a single point.