Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Intersection of cylinder and plane

1. Jan 14, 2006 #1
    I'm trying to find the parameterization of the intersection of a cylinder x^2+y^2=1 and the plane x+y+z=1, but I'm not exactly sure how to go about it. Any guidance on how to find this intersection in a parameterized form would be most appreciated.

In general I don't know a great deal about finding intersections of various surfaces and shapes in r^3 or how to parameterize these things. Googling hasn't turned up anything particularly usefull, but a few scattered examples. I was also wondering if anyone knew of useful sites with this information.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2006 #2

benorin

Homework Helper

parameterization of cylinder and plane intersection

The parameterization of the cylinder [itex]x^2+y^2=1[/itex] is standard:

Let x(t)=cos(t) and let y(t)=cos(t) for [itex]0\leq t < 2\pi[/itex].

We wish to parameterize the intersection of the above cylinder and the plane x+y+z=1, solving this for z gives z=1-x-y so we see that if we put

z(t) = 1-x(t)-y(t) = 1-cos(t)-sint(t) for [itex]0\leq t < 2\pi[/itex],

then the parameterization we seek is given by:

[tex] \vec{r}(t) = \left< x(t),y(t),z(t)\right> = \left< \cos (t),\sin (t), 1- \cos (t) - \sin (t)\right> ,\mbox{ for }0\leq t < 2\pi[/tex].

-Ben

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook