Intersection of cylinder and plane

• Thread starter dagar
  • Start date
I'm trying to find the parameterization of the intersection of a cylinder x^2+y^2=1 and the plane x+y+z=1, but I'm not exactly sure how to go about it. Any guidance on how to find this intersection in a parameterized form would be most appreciated.

In general I don't know a great deal about finding intersections of various surfaces and shapes in r^3 or how to parameterize these things. Googling hasn't turned up anything particularly usefull, but a few scattered examples. I was also wondering if anyone knew of useful sites with this information.

Thanks

Answers and Replies

benorin
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
parameterization of cylinder and plane intersection

dagar said:
I'm trying to find the parameterization of the intersection of a cylinder x^2+y^2=1 and the plane x+y+z=1, but I'm not exactly sure how to go about it. Any guidance on how to find this intersection in a parameterized form would be most appreciated....Thanks
The parameterization of the cylinder [itex]x^2+y^2=1[/itex] is standard:

Let x(t)=cos(t) and let y(t)=cos(t) for [itex]0\leq t < 2\pi[/itex].

We wish to parameterize the intersection of the above cylinder and the plane x+y+z=1, solving this for z gives z=1-x-y so we see that if we put

z(t) = 1-x(t)-y(t) = 1-cos(t)-sint(t) for [itex]0\leq t < 2\pi[/itex],

then the parameterization we seek is given by:

[tex] \vec{r}(t) = \left< x(t),y(t),z(t)\right> = \left< \cos (t),\sin (t), 1- \cos (t) - \sin (t)\right> ,\mbox{ for }0\leq t < 2\pi[/tex].

-Ben

Likes says