• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Intersection of planes in R3

• Thread starter maccha
  • Start date
thought I understood equations of planes in R3 and their intersections, but apparently not. I'm very confused by what seems to be a basic problem:

find a vector equation for the line of intersection of x + y + z= 0 and x + z = 0.

Is x + z= 0 still a plane even though it doesn't have the form Ax + By + Cz = D?

I notice that if you set the two equations equal to each other you find that y = 1. Does this mean that the planes intersect on a line where y =1 and all x coordinates are equal to negative z coordinates? Thanks!

Answers and Replies

The equation [tex]x + z = 0[/tex] does in fact have the form [tex]Ax + By + Cz = D[/tex]; what is [tex]B[/tex] here?

Also, how did you combine [tex]x + y + z = 0[/tex] with [tex]x + z = 0[/tex] to conclude that [tex]y = 1[/tex]? If you suppose that [tex]x + z = 0[/tex] and [tex]y = 1[/tex], what is [tex]x + y + z[/tex]?

thought I understood equations of planes in R3 and their intersections, but apparently not. I'm very confused by what seems to be a basic problem:

find a vector equation for the line of intersection of x + y + z= 0 and x + z = 0.

Is x + z= 0 still a plane even though it doesn't have the form Ax + By + Cz = D?

I notice that if you set the two equations equal to each other you find that y = 1. Does this mean that the planes intersect on a line where y =1 and all x coordinates are equal to negative z coordinates? Thanks!
As a hint you have to use vectors and vector products.

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
No, you don't have to use vectors and vector products. (Except that the problem specifically asked for a vector as solution. If it had not you could write the line as parametric equations.) But I see no reason for "vector products".