Understanding Plane Intersections in R3

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a vector equation for the line of intersection of two planes in R3, one of which does not have the standard form of Ax + By + Cz = D. The conversation also questions whether the equation x + z = 0 is still considered a plane and notes that setting the two equations equal to each other results in y = 1. The use of vectors and vector products is suggested as a solution method.
maccha
thought I understood equations of planes in R3 and their intersections, but apparently not. I'm very confused by what seems to be a basic problem:

find a vector equation for the line of intersection of x + y + z= 0 and x + z = 0.

Is x + z= 0 still a plane even though it doesn't have the form Ax + By + Cz = D?

I notice that if you set the two equations equal to each other you find that y = 1. Does this mean that the planes intersect on a line where y =1 and all x coordinates are equal to negative z coordinates? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation [tex]x + z = 0[/tex] does in fact have the form [tex]Ax + By + Cz = D[/tex]; what is [tex]B[/tex] here?

Also, how did you combine [tex]x + y + z = 0[/tex] with [tex]x + z = 0[/tex] to conclude that [tex]y = 1[/tex]? If you suppose that [tex]x + z = 0[/tex] and [tex]y = 1[/tex], what is [tex]x + y + z[/tex]?

maccha said:
thought I understood equations of planes in R3 and their intersections, but apparently not. I'm very confused by what seems to be a basic problem:

find a vector equation for the line of intersection of x + y + z= 0 and x + z = 0.

Is x + z= 0 still a plane even though it doesn't have the form Ax + By + Cz = D?

I notice that if you set the two equations equal to each other you find that y = 1. Does this mean that the planes intersect on a line where y =1 and all x coordinates are equal to negative z coordinates? Thanks!

As a hint you have to use vectors and vector products.

No, you don't have to use vectors and vector products. (Except that the problem specifically asked for a vector as solution. If it had not you could write the line as parametric equations.) But I see no reason for "vector products".

1. What is the definition of the intersection of planes in R3?

The intersection of planes in R3 is the set of points where two or more planes intersect each other. In other words, it is the common points shared by two or more planes in three-dimensional space.

2. How do you determine if two planes in R3 intersect?

To determine if two planes in R3 intersect, you can set up a system of equations using the equations of the planes and solve for the variables. If the system has a unique solution, the planes intersect at a single point. If the system has infinitely many solutions, the planes coincide and intersect at every point. If the system has no solution, the planes are parallel and do not intersect.

3. Can three planes intersect at a single point in R3?

Yes, three planes in R3 can intersect at a single point. This is known as a common point of intersection and occurs when the planes do not lie in parallel to each other.

4. Is it possible for two planes to intersect in a line in R3?

Yes, it is possible for two planes in R3 to intersect in a line. This occurs when the planes are parallel and have infinitely many solutions when solving for the variables in the system of equations.

5. How can the intersection of planes in R3 be useful in real-world applications?

The intersection of planes in R3 has various real-world applications, such as in 3D modeling, computer graphics, and engineering. It can be used to determine the position of an object in three-dimensional space and to calculate the shortest distance between two objects. It is also helpful in solving optimization problems and analyzing the behavior of three-dimensional systems.