1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intervals of increase and decrease

1. Oct 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    find the intervals of increase or decrease of the function f(x)= (3/(x^2+11)-1

i already find the 1st derivative f'(x)= -6x/ (x^2 +11). After that i didnt know how to proceed to find the interval. I need help for the solutions.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2012 #2
    How does the first derivative behave in the interval of increase?

4. Oct 30, 2012 #3
    Do you mean
    [tex]f(x)=\frac{3}{x^2+11}-1[/tex]
    If so, check the f'(x) you have calculated. The denominator should be squared.

5. Oct 30, 2012 #4
    yes.. sorry for typo error.
    so what should i do next to get the interval?
    i need to find x after i did the 1st derivative but how to square root the -11? isnt that impossible or does it have another formula?

6. Oct 30, 2012 #5
    If you examine the derivative, the denominator is squared and is always positive, so we don't really need to worry about that. Now see the numerator, what is the sign of the expression when x<0, what it is when x>0?
    Not really following what you are asking here.

7. Oct 30, 2012 #6
    the sign is + for x<0 & - for x>0...so next is i need to find the domain for the function for the interval value...right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook