1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intra-atomic gravity causes magnetism?

1. Sep 14, 2011 #1
    I read in Stephen Herman's Electrical Studies for Trades: 4th Edition that 'internal gravity' causes electrons to spin on their axes, resulting in magnetism. How do electrons' spins result in flux?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2011 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Please cite the Page number, so that someone can write to the author and remove that incorrect phrase "internal gravity".

Zz.

4. Sep 14, 2011 #3
    Its under the second headline on page 86.

5. Sep 15, 2011 #4
    How would magnetic domains result in flux lines?

6. Sep 15, 2011 #5

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Are you referring to the magnetic domains in something like a magnet?

7. Sep 15, 2011 #6
    The book I cited says that when the atoms of iron, nickel and cobalt combine their electrons of the same spins pair up, creating magnetic domains. It also says that you can call magnetic domains 'magnetic molecules'.

8. Sep 15, 2011 #7

Drakkith

Ah ok. Well, I think flux lines are simply visual representations of the magnetic field from these molecules.

9. Sep 15, 2011 #8
    Now this is eerie. I am writing a book and need a physicist to talk with for research purposes, and this is exactly one of the topics I need info about.
    Maybe I should just read through all the forums and I might find all my answers..lol

10. Sep 15, 2011 #9

Drakkith

Use the search feature!

11. Sep 16, 2011 #10
    I'm wondering if there are some rules by which particular arrangements of spins result in flux fields of particular shapes.

12. Sep 16, 2011 #11

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Unfortunately, the physics of quantum magnetism isn't that easy. It is a many-body phenomenon. The orientation of spin of one atom is governed by the orientation and location of all the other spins in close vicinity to it (nearest neighbor, next-nearest neighbor, next-next-nearest neighbor, etc.). That is why sometime you can an ferromagnetic material, an antiferromagnetic material, etc.. etc.

We do know that it isn't due to "intra-atomic gravity".

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook