1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Introducing Rigor to my existent knowledge (Calculus and Linear Algebra)

1. Jan 12, 2012 #1
    I am an Mechanical Engineering major and just recently I found myself to be very interested in Computational Mathematics. I have taken the typical 3 courses on Calculus but the problem is that since they were being taught majorly to an engineering audience, no one bothered with the epsilon deltas. I know how to find limits, differentiate weird functions and integrate improper integrals but when I try to read research on Nonlinear Optimization or Numerical Linear Algebra, I am unable to follow the math because of its rigor.

I have some time to work on this before joining graduate school and wanted a recommendation for a good book that would allow me to revise the 3 semesters of calculus while simultaneously improve my ability to read and write rigorous proofs. However, I don't want a book like Apostol or Spivak (which run for thousands of pages) because I already know a lot of Calculus and honestly, it gets boring.

My goal is to finish revision and introduction of rigor as quickly as possible and move on to more advanced stuff that I am currently stuck on (Boundary Value Problems in Fluid Mechanics, NLA and Optimization to name a few)

I already have Apostol and Kenneth Ross but the former is tooooooo long and the latter (I believe) stops abruptly.

Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2012 #2
    I'd suggest to search the internet for calculus lecture notes - they are usually more concise than books, covering the most important topics at the same time.

Another option would be to get a book similar to "Mathematical methods for scientists and engineers" by Donald Allan McQuarrie. Such books are one thousand pages long, however, they cover a lot of different topics, that are the most important to engineers.

4. Jan 12, 2012 #3
    I find your post a little confusing, you say that you have trouble following the more rigorous texts and yet you wish to avoid Spivak (Which does not run for anywhere over 400 pages, I don't have it around me right now). Spivak is very good at getting one used to more mathematically abstract thinking. You wish to learn epsilon-deltas, well Spivak is an ideal place to begin, did you even take a look at Spivak at your library?

In any case, if you want a rigorous linear algebra book, you could try Friedberg, Insel and Spence; or if you've taken some abstract algebra (most engineering majors around here don't) then Hoffman and Kunze is also great; lastly you could look through Hefferon's free linear algebra book, it is also quite nice.

Good luck!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook