Introductory Acoustics Homework Help

In summary, the author is discussing the problem of integrating over a surface to determine the pressure on it, but is not sure how to proceed. He Googles some resources that might help, but is not sure if they do. He eventually solves the problem using a substitution and eqn 1.8.4.
davon806

Homework Statement

Hi there,
I am a beginner in acoustics and there are severals problems I am currently struggling while I was reading the first chapter of "Theory of Vortex Sound" (available on Google books).

New Bitmap Image (3).jpg

Homework Equations

For Q4[/B]:
B015988463_271-361.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

For Q2 and 3, as underlined in the first picture, if the velocity and pressure doesn't go like 1/r , the integral will diverge as r-> inf. However, there are no 1/r terms in U0cos(wt)

For Q4,

31afc7e1-17c7-495e-9f92-248600d71349.jpg

I am not sure how to proceed, since the variable y is contained in two terms within the dirac delta,I don't know how to eliminate it.

BTW, I googled sth that might be helpful for Q4.
a.jpg

(From P.115-116 of https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...WAhVKDxoKHe_nDiQQ6AEIMjAC#v=onepage&q&f=false )

Thanks very much!

Likes dundeegogo
Physics news on Phys.org
For Q2, I feel the discussion about large r that follows eqn 1.8.4 is not relevant. You have no idea what p is.
Note that in the eqn. the left side involves p and v. A substitution is then made to eliminate v in favour of p.
In Q2 you are given information about v but not p. What alternative step does that suggest?

haruspex said:
For Q2, I feel the discussion about large r that follows eqn 1.8.4 is not relevant. You have no idea what p is.
Note that in the eqn. the left side involves p and v. A substitution is then made to eliminate v in favour of p.
In Q2 you are given information about v but not p. What alternative step does that suggest?

Since v = U0cos(wt) and using the substitution v = p/ρ0c0 , rearranging we can solve for p. Then I use eq 1.8.4 with the integrand
pv = U0 ^2 cos^2 (ωt) ρ0 c0 .But then the integrand doesn't go like 1/r^2 ,when I integrate over the surface it gives a 4πr^2 term.

In addition, I am not sure on the difference between Q2 and Q3. I guess the surface area for Q3 is like 4πr^2,but have no idea on Q2.

davon806 said:
But then the integrand doesn't go like 1/r^2
You don't need it to. As I wrote, we are not here considering large r. This is the radius R of the compact sphere. We are told it makes small oscillations, so to a first approximation its area is always 4πR2.

davon806 said:
I am not sure on the difference between Q2 and Q3
I had not read Q3. Now that I have I realize that is the question I have been leading you to answer.
Q2 says translational oscillations, i.e. the sphere is oscillating side-to-side.
You could try to figure out the correct integral for that, remembering that the vr in the equation is the component of velocity normal to the surface element dS. Or maybe there is a shortcut.

1. What is acoustics?

Acoustics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of sound, its production, transmission, and effects on different mediums and environments.

2. What are some applications of acoustics?

Acoustics has various applications, including noise control, room acoustics, sound recording, communication systems, and medical imaging.

3. How does sound travel through different mediums?

Sound travels in the form of waves, and the medium through which it travels impacts its speed and intensity. For example, sound travels faster in solids than in liquids and gases.

4. What factors affect the loudness and pitch of sound?

The loudness of sound is affected by the amplitude of the sound wave, while the pitch is determined by the frequency of the sound wave. The medium through which the sound travels also plays a role in altering the loudness and pitch.

5. How is acoustics related to music?

Acoustics plays a crucial role in the production and perception of music. It helps musicians and sound engineers understand the behavior of sound in different environments and how to manipulate it to create desired musical effects.