Introductory demonstration materials

In summary, the conversation is about finding a unique object called a light-mill or radiometer, which is a demonstration of how photons have energy. The person is looking for recommendations on where to find one and others suggest online or at planetariums and science museums. The person also learns more about the object and its functions.
neomagus00
Hello all,
While searching for a holiday gift for a younger sibling (who is rapidly becoming interested in the sciences), I remembered a demonstration from a high school physics course that sparked my own interest in physics. It involved a unique object - a light bulb with a needle and 4 black and white squares balanced upon it, in place of the filament. Shine a flashlight on the pinwheel and it spins - a visually appealing demonstration of how photons have energy, and a great launching point for more questions and learning (grab their attention with the mysterious spinning squares, and parlay that into questions about the nature of light, mass, etc.).

I can not for the life of me find this unusual object, or anything like it. Any recommendations? I remember this demonstration in particular, but any similar demo would be great, and any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, the object you've described is usually termed 'light-mill'.

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/General/LightMill/light-mill.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
Besides light mill, these are also known as radiometers or Crookes radiometers.

An online search of "radiometer" shows many for sale, at around 9 $US.

You might also find them in the gift shops at planetariums or science museums.

Thanks to both of you, that was exactly what I was looking for. Good call pointing me to the explanations, too - I'm a physics grad from Carnegie Mellon and I still thought it was just radiation pressure! (In my defense, I didn't know it spun the wrong way).

Again, much appreciated.

FAQ: Introductory demonstration materials

1. What are introductory demonstration materials?

Introductory demonstration materials are educational resources used by teachers and scientists to introduce a topic or concept to students in a hands-on and engaging way. These materials can include experiments, models, simulations, or other visual aids.

2. What is the purpose of using introductory demonstration materials?

The main purpose of using introductory demonstration materials is to help students understand and remember complex scientific concepts. These materials allow students to actively participate in the learning process and make connections between the theoretical concepts and real-life applications.

3. How do scientists choose which demonstration materials to use?

Scientists consider several factors when choosing which demonstration materials to use, such as the age and background knowledge of the students, the complexity of the concept being taught, and the availability of resources. They also consider the learning objectives and make sure the materials align with the curriculum.

4. Can demonstration materials be used in all scientific fields?

Yes, demonstration materials can be used in all scientific fields, including biology, chemistry, physics, and environmental science. The type of materials used may vary depending on the specific topic being taught, but the overall purpose remains the same - to enhance understanding and engagement in the subject.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using demonstration materials?

Yes, safety should always be a top priority when using demonstration materials. Scientists should carefully follow instructions and protocols to ensure the safety of themselves and their students. It is also important to assess any potential hazards and take necessary precautions, such as wearing protective gear and properly disposing of materials after use.